Is the reason you like Opeth Mikael's growls and not his clean vocals?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Is the reason you like Opeth Mikael's growls and not his clean vocals? I like Mikael's growls in Opeth and the progressive music behind but not the acoustic interludes or the clean vocals but that's probably because I'm more a fan of black and death metal and not power metal and other metal genres with clean vocals. i bought The Ghost Reveries and like the growls but it's not that I can't stand Mikael's clean vocals, it's just that I don't care for them and wish he'd growl all the time. So I'm most likely never going to buy the Damnation album but i still like Opeth and Mikael's growls.

he has an incredibly articulated growl and an equally great clean voice.

opeth, and mike for that reason isn't a non-stop headbanging 100% brutal metal band. so stop bitching or go listen to bloodbath.

bluewizard said:
I like Mikael's growls in Opeth and the progressive music behind but not the acoustic interludes or the clean vocals but that's probably because I'm more a fan of black and death metal and not power metal and other metal genres with clean vocals.
Please tell me you aren't comparing Mike's singing to power metal :erk:

I quite enjoy the "clean singing" and the acoustics, they are what make Opeth imo. If you want just death vocals go listen to Deicide, not that there's anything wrong with that though. :)

i didnt even read that. power metal? what the HELL?

and also lol @ liking Opeth for vocals but not for guitars/drums which are clearly more impressive.

yeah good choice on never going to buy damnation. he doesnt scream on it so theres like no good music. come on man...

The reason I like Opeth is because... (good essay question)

I like both growling vocals and clean vocals, that's one of the things that attracted me to the band.

Strange that someone should make this thread, because recently I've become increasingly less found of the death metal growl. Not just Mike's, all death metal growls. Now don't take this the wrong way, I think the likes of Mikeal, Angela Gossow etc are very talented guttaral vocalists, but I have found that I simply don't enjoy the sound anymore. There is a certain level of pain and loss, and a sense of empowerment that is perhaps best conveyed by these very primitive and often frankly terrifying sound sounds, but again I'd much rather listen to clean vocals that growld.

Perhaps I'm just bored, or perhaps guttaral vocalising has out grown me or vice versa.

metal_wrath said:

I quite enjoy the "clean singing" and the acoustics, they are what make Opeth imo. If you want just death vocals go listen to Deicide, not that there's anything wrong with that though. :)
No I wasn't comparing Mikael's clean vocals to power metal, I was merely stating power metal uses clean vocals and not a harsh vocal.

all_sins_undone said:
i didnt even read that. power metal? what the HELL?

and also lol @ liking Opeth for vocals but not for guitars/drums which are clearly more impressive.
Like I said the first time, the progressive music behind the vocals is the guitar and drums, hence I like that too.

metal_wrath said:

I do listen to Deicide and music of that nature. But I also like the progressive atmosphere and the death growl so that's why I like Opeth. Minus the clean vocals and acoustic interludes and i like everything about Opeth.

I like Opeth because all my friends like them, I haven't really even heard anything they do except that one record they did with the accoustic guitars. But I do agree that their music is really complex and atmospheric and also that they have the most articulated vocals

Amarantus said:
SHIT THREAD/SHIT POSTER

What the Bluewizard said was pretty fucking sad and ALMOST makes me regret being a metalhead. Fucking ignorant people.
I don't see why. Just because I don't particularly like clean vocals doesn't make me any less of a metalhead than anyone. There's plenty of metalheads who don't care for clean vocals like me who I'm sure has a liking for Opeth's growls. And was it the Damnation comment that got you? If I don't care for the clean vocals why would I buy an album dedicated to having no death growl and exclusively clean vocals?

Opeth offers something for both sides of the brain. I never like death metal vocals until opeth and now i find among my favourite bands are decide, morbid angel ect....
If you dont like them, there are plenty of bands without clean singers. and plenty more who can only do one stlye well. Mikael is a great death metal vocalist and a FANTASTIC clean melodic singer, and damnation is a great prog record. id you dont like it go to the bloodbath forum...noob...

oh and by the way...if u dont like actoustic interludes YOU DONT LIKE PROG!