Is this my Rock Sound???

mrhyde-music

New Metal Member
Dec 7, 2009
Hi everybody,

I am going to record my first album "Journey into Rock" and I wonder if my Triamp (first generation - about 13 years old) will do the job?

I am not looking for that "ultra scooped modern sound"; it should be a bit more Dream Theater like.

What do you think about this sound? This is just a "quick mix".

Triamp => engl 2x12 V30 => sm57 (sometimes 4 tracks)

Here is now the new Dropbox link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3399380/Triamp new test.mp3

Shit, today I realized that the guitars sometimes seem to be slightly out of tune.

Thanks for taking the time - Mr Hyde :headbang:

Not bad at all. They are a tiny bit fizzy. Have you tried low-passing the guitars around 8khz? I would decrease the bass a little if possible and bring 'em down in the mix a bit.

You need to watch your timing a bit as well, you don't lock in during the beginning and various other parts.

Thank you very much for your honest advice. The guitars are "this loud" because I want to concentrate on the guitar sound - as mentioned in my first post.

This is not a "real song", only a collection of different "themes" to hear the guitar sound in a context. That is why the timing might not be so accurate.

This time I placed the sm57 in the middle of the cone - for the first time. First I liked it, but I think that is why the overall sound is too fizzy.

It is often very strange. You try something new, then you think it sounds good - sound may have have improved - then the next day it sounds terrible.

My main question is/was: Do you think if my Triamp has the potential for a sound with which one can work?

Greetings Mr Hyde

And it is by no means a "final mix".

Sure, keep trying mic positions, eq and editing/tightness and then post some different tones in a clip. You better take pics of the mic setup so you can go back and track them again.