cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL'S SONGS TO WATCH
SPRING BREAK EDITION
An Alliance Production
Written March 28, 2002

Greetings, devoted readers! This has been a great week for me, and the Dream Theater concerts are only one reason why. Unfortunately, it has become obvious that with my busy schedule, this column has failed to remain a top priority, and I can only commit to sporadic postings until further notice. And descriptions will be shorter than normal. But music never slows down, so here is a bit of what I've been listening to lately.
P.S. Before I get mail asking me "why haven't you reviewed the new Rush single yet?"...I have heard it, but not in a good quality version. Next issue.

Arcturus - Radical Cut, Ad Absurdum: I've heard all of the Sham Mirrors (Thank you Jim, metal authority extraordinaire and inept Seismic Radio DJ...just kidding!), and it follows where La Masquerade Infernale left off, a bit more accessible (the horror!) but still as labyrinthine as ever. The former track is a definite highlight with its insane keyboard runs and an excellent cameo by Ihsahn. Latter available at www.metalexpress.no

Archetype - Dawning, Final Day: Independent release that is beginning to receive some attention for possessing some killer metal with progressive leaning arrangements. This is definitely one of the most accomplished debuts I've heard in a long time. The songs experience frequent changes, but never wander off, which should attract both prog and traditional metal fans.

Devin Townsend - The Fluke, Nobody's Here: Canada's most volatile musical personality has just been added to the already impressive Porogpower 3.0 roster, which may baffle those who only know him from SYL and other ultraheavy projects. In my opinion Terria represents the true range of his talent, the latter song being just one of many powerful emotional statements, and the former shows why he has also been regarded as a experimentalist of rare gifts.

Green Carnation - Journey To The End Of Night pt. 1, My Dark Reflections: Light Of Day has deserved all of its attention as one of the most ambitious releases in recent memory. Here are two from their first, featuring a wholly different lineup. The former track is a msut for fans of the hour long opus, with its eerie bassline and female vocals (which work much better than the oft-criticized passage...)

Eternity X - Imaginarium, A Day In Verse: The other Jersey prog metal act with an X in their name, disbanded after volatile leader Keith Sudano lost interest after The Edge. Both of these songs display his gifts for writing dark and complex material, particularly the foreboding chorus on the former ten-minute track and the arrangement on the latter, which builds from an acoustic intro into a blinding finish, at times sounding like a power ballad gone delightfully wrong.

Nightingale - I Return, So Long (Still I Wonder): Supposedly Dan Swano is releasing another album under this project, arguably his best, soon. The latter song from the Closing Chronicles features a highly emotional chorus and an excellent guitar solo, while the former carries a lot of detail in just over three minutes. The multi-instrumentalist will next be heard on...

Star One - Set Your Controls, High Moon: The telling thing about this album is that despite the high-profile guest appearances (excellent vocal interplay on both songs, all four put in great performances), it still carries the possessive of Arjen Lucassen, a clear indication of his ability to maintain a distinct identity in spite of the presence of his collaborators. The former track is more or less power metal, but saved by its undeniable energy, while the latter will please any Ayreon fan.

Dimension Zero - Your Darkest Hour, The Murder Inn: Gothenburg side project started by Glenn Ljungstrom while still a member of the city's most well known (though not necessarily best) export, In Flames. Both of these songs from the upcoming Silent Night Fever (dumb title) are melodic death as it originally began, a must for In Flames fans, especially those who think they lost it with or after Colony. Latter available at www.centurymedia.com

Superior - The Unwanted, Terror Fantasy: After stretching out to mixed results on Younique, this German band returns to its progressive metal foundation on the upcoming Ultima Ratio. Both of these songs feature excellent arrangements and powerful vocals. The album also features a very intriguing concept, be sure to view the elaborate page created for it on the official site.

Sorskogen - Mordet I Grottan: Obscure Swedish progressive rock, to the degree that only one song is available. Why is it in the column then? Solely because of its creator...Mikael Akerfeldt. An excellent, dark (title translates to Murder In The Cave), keyboard-drenched song that helps to identify Opeth's influences and possibly hint at the direction they will take on the mellow half of their planned double opus.

Stygma IV - Stygmatized, Sleep: Austrian power metal act brought to my attention. Although the latter track is atypical of most of the genre...a sixteen minute epic that constantly takes on new angles. Latter track from The Human Twilight Zone (as opposed to what?) contains a very catchy chorus, available at www.metalexpress.no Continuing with the Roman numeral theme...

Katagory V - One Second Warning, Negative Attraction: Dustin, I know you're reading this! :) Another independent release that has received some national attention among prog followers for its late 80s Seattle (as in Queensryche and Sanctuary, the chorus of the former bears a strong resemblance to Warrel Dane.) Latter track features a slashing lead riff.

All Too Human – Haunted, Arrhythmia: Another independent prog release brought to my attention through the indomitable Progged Radio, this album Entropy is actually the band’s second, and much better than their first. Both album and song title aptly describe the latter instrumental (heavier than most in the genre), while the former is a eleven-minute track with a great instrumental section.

Leviathan – All Sins Returned, Confusion: Highly underrated and now defunct progressive metal act from Colorado, whose last two albums featured innovative arrangements and thoughtful lyrics rivaling their better known peers. Former song alternates between near-thrashy and prog sections, while the latter creates its title by sounding like a power metal song gone off-kilter with distorted vocals and a strange arrangement, until ending in a fantastic Maidenesque gallop.

Wolverine – Coma, Post Life: The Window Purpose is one of the most disturbing progressive metal albums ever, evoking the controlled chaos of Pain Of Salvation and the dark discipline of Evergrey. Former track features some unsettling sections, pained vocals, and a truly bizarre hook amidst a constantly shifting background, while the latter relies more on acoustic sections, but for the most part is equally powerful and ends the album on an appropriately bleak note.

Landberk – Why Do I Still Sleep, No More White Horses: Reader suggested Swedish prog rock act, along with Anekdoten and Anglagard highly regarded among prog followers (especially traditionalist ones). Latter track features a great keyboard buildup and melancholy chorus, while the former’s sentiments are enhanced by female vocals.

Falconer – Decadence Of Dignity, Portals Of Light: Mattias Blad and company return quickly after their highly regarded debut. While the two songs I previously mentioned here are highly impressive, these do little to suggest that Chapters… will be among my favorites of this year, although the former is a strong power metal song with little clichés. However, the latter is a very awkward power ballad that displeases me greatly…

Anathema – Judgement, Wings Of God: Included after learning of the surprise departure of Daniel Cavanagh, and his polarizing statement in which he dismissed his former band’s recent work. Hopefullu, the split will produce two great bands, although the void left by his loss will be enormously hard to fill. I think most of my readers know the songs already, suffice it to say that both are among their finest moments.

Virgin Black – Drink The Midnight Hymn, A Poet’s Tears Of Porcelain: The End has released some very striking releases lately, high among them being this Australian act’s enigmatic and melancholy debut. Latter track features some deep yet delicate vocals and a sparse arrangement, while the former breaks out of the doomy surroundings (in sound at least…) and is decidedly metallic.

Ironia – Life Is Hard, Underground Stealing: And here is still another independent prog release (again thanks to Chan and his one man operation Progged Radio). This one is less metallic and more quirky than the others, but is still worth your attention, especially since their entire album is available on their website, along with some interesting live improvisations showing this band can definitely play.

Maudlin Of The Well – Undine And Underwater Flowers, Blight Of River Systems: More intricately surreal music from this impossible to define nine-piece act, this time hailing from their debut My Fruit Psychobells… Latter track is among their more calm and accessible numbers, featuring both male and female vocals. The former track has some interesting sections amidst its disjointed arrangement.

After Forever – Emphasis, Semblance Of Confusion: In my opinion, one of the best of the symphonic doom acts sometimes termed as “beauty and the beast” music, the beauty being Floor Jansen and her highly expressive voice (she also appears on Star one, see entry above.) Former track from Decipher is a great representation of their gifts, while the latter is one of their heavier tracks.

Shadowland – Jigsaw, Mephisto Bridge: British prog side-project featuring two notable names: prolific and highly talented keyboardist Clive Nolan (who doubles on vocals) and Threshold guitarist Karl Groom. Both songs head in a less metallic direction than the latter’s main gig, but feature strong performances from both, especially on the lengthy former track. Both songs available at official site.

Andromeda – Eclipse: Well, I’ve finally heard the new singer. This is a more atmospheric track and Dvaid Fremberg’s vocals sound a bit fragile here, perhaps indicating that the upcoming Two Is One may not be as instrumentally frantic as Extension Of The Wish. Either way, I look forward to the results, and the track is a sign that the band will do anything but try to replicate last year’s finest debut.

Thus ends this chapter…

Thanks, Demonspell, for turning me on to a lot of great bands. The newest in the list, Wolverine. I bought their cd after downloading some songs from your recomendations. The cd is great, a very worthwhile purchase. I strongly recommend anyone into progressive and textural metal music to pick it up. Cheers!