Issue 4 - June 27, 2001

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
As usual, I have a wide range of recently released metal and progressive rock that has been playing over my stereo system and/or computer. After seven weeks at the leadoff position (although my placement of bands is mostly random), the Horror Show Countdown is over. And now, the songs…

Falconer – Entering Eternity, Lord Of The Blacksmiths: The year’s most highly regarded debut album, and not without good reason, as the band has provided much needed innovation in the power metal scene. I know many people seem to dislike the latter song, for reasons that escape me…it has a great lead riff and chorus.

Enchant – My Enemy, The Lizard: One of the best bands in the progressive rock scene in terms of songwriting, these two songs hail from their 1998 album Break. The former song, with its effortless tempo changes and thought-provoking lyrics, is an excellent overview of all their strengths as musicians.

Katatonia – I Am Nothing, Right Into The Bliss: This Swedish doom band is fast becoming a favorite of mine, and directly owed to a reader recommendation nonetheless! Both tracks feature superb melodies and Jonas Renske’s impassioned vocals. Former song available at their site at http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/224/katatoniacom.html

Lemur Voice – When The Cradle Cries, Deep Inside: A great progressive metal band that unfortunately split after two albums, they included a superb guitarist in Marcel Coenen and many of the songs had moments of great beauty in them. Their site at www.mp3.com provides an excellent overview of their work, as nearly all of both albums and some demo and live versions are available.

Evergrey – Blackened Dawn, Nosferatu: This Swedish band is scheduled to appear at Progpower and just signed a US deal with Inside Out. They play a mixture of power metal with a strong doom-tinged atmosphere. Their last album Solitude Dominance Tragedy is excellent.

After Forever – Follow In The Cry, Leaden Legacy: One of the best female-fronted metal acts around, and the one I feel incorporates male vocals to the greatest effect. New album coming soon, and these songs hail from Prison Of Desire, one of last year’s most impressive debuts.

Madsword – Connect/Time In The Ice, How Much Progress?: Released late last year, this Italian’s band’s album The Global Village has received much praise from prog-metal circles, as it is superbly crafted and works on many different dimensions. As the song titles suggest, the album revolves around the effects of technology, also reflected in the album’s astounding booklet.

Borknagar – Colossus, Revolt: Part of my continuing black metal education, this band concentrates on the more atmospheric side of the genre, with Simen (now departed to join Dimmu Borgir) providing great clean vocals. The latter song, available at www.centurymedia.com, is highly impressive. New album coming soon.

Shadow Gallery – Mystery, War For Sale: Despite their incredible strengths as musicians, this band remains a mixed proposition for me…these songs from Tyranny represent everything that’s great about them, particularly the rich vocal arrangements and Gary Wehrkamp’s excellent guitar. Unfortunately, most of that album is plagued with weak ballads and Savatage-like melodramatics.

Nightwish – Tenth Man Down, A Return To The Sea: Tarja and company have several releases this year, among them two EPs. The former track hails from the Over The Hills and Far Away single, while the latter, which features great bass and classical piano and is an amazing song, is from the Wishmastour 2000 EP. The former is also very good, but listeners who didn’t like the male vocals on Oceanborn should be warned…

Pain Of Salvation – Her Voices, Morning On Earth, Reconciliation: I’m finally seeing the light regarding this band’s complex and melancholic Perfect Element opus, to the point where I’m featuring three songs. Which is appropriate since the last two borrow each other’s song structure to a powerful effect. The longer first song emphasizes that while their music is often melodramatic, they are also highly technical as well.

Quo Vadis – Point Of No Return, On The Shores Of Ithaka: Intrigued by the endorsement in Tolknaz’s signature, I decided to give this Canadian death metal act a try, and I wasn’t disappointed, as their musicianship reminds me of some of the more accomplished and innovative death acts, like Death.

Tiles – Facing Failure, Safe Procedures: Presents Of Mind is a superb progressive rock album with some metal leanings and a feel similar to classic Rush. Both song titles are misleading, as it is neither safe nor a failure. Both songs feature some incredible bass playing.

Gordian Knot – Code/Anticode, Srikara Tal: Thanks to Progmetalfan for suggesting this excellent instrumental album. I know the former was previously in an earlier special, but it is one of the best instrumentals I’ve ever heard, featuring astounding guitar-bass interplay between Jarzombek and Malone.

The Flower Kings – Monster Within, In The Eyes Of The World: I haven’t been able to fully get into this highly regarded progressive rock act because of their eccentricities, but both of these extended length songs, as they feature many great instrumental changes and sections and the latter has some arresting vocals.

Digital Ruin – The Agony Column, Night Falls Forever: Again, this band has received many positive reviews from progressive metal sources but I’m still undecided regarding them, although the former track is great, featuring an instantly memorable chorus and layered keyboards.

Vintersorg – Cosmic Genesis, Ars Memorativa: Another act bordering on the more ethereal regions of black metal, which makes their sound more palatable to the progressive listener! The former title track is features many great moments and a stirring chorus, and the latter is also very strong.