Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL’S SONGS TO WATCH
Prog beyond your wildest dreams.
Written July 16, 2002

Greetings, devoted readers! This is one of two issues this week, enabled by a large amount of recent material, mostly from lesser known artists, which is great because it balances out disappointments from more established names, and gives listeners new acts to get excited about and provide hope for the future. That, and some spare time and computer problems.
If you haven’t seen Rush on tour yet this summer, please do. It was an incredible experience, and their career-spanning setlist is impeccable. And now, the songs…

Agalloch – I Am The Wooden Doors, In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion: Two more excellent compositions from The Mantle, due out next month. Former song goes in a progressive melodic death direction akin to Opeth, adding some surprises such as a wooden acoustic solo in a metallic content. Latter fourteen-minute plus epic shows the full range of their talent, especially the part with the reverberating guitars…

All Too Human – White Stones, E-Killer: Currently independent progressive metal act from Texas (more on that later) whose album Entropy is one of this year’s best surprises. Latter song is a midtempo piece that grows on the listener, while the latter contains more than a few moments reminiscent of Queensryche, including a great fluid guitar solo, and even manages to convert the potentially stupid title into a catchy chorus J

Anekdoten – Wheel, For Someone: Highly praised Swedish progressive act whose blend of foreboding guitars and mellotron interspersed with delicate, almost pastoral sections have earned them a respected place among prog connoisseurs. Former track from their debut Vemod contains all of these strengths, and contains a great ending: the wheel going off course. Latter track is a short but beautiful acoustic piece. New album coming soon.

Arabesque – The Union, Freaking: Dutch progressive metal act whose latest album is bound to turn many heads among fans of the genre. Latter track contains a great pace-building intro and is a bit more accessible than the other songs I’ve heard from this band, relying on a soaring chorus and well-placed classical piano. Former title track also makes quite an impression.

Arcturus – To Thou That Dwellest In The Night, Nightmare Heaven: Following on the success of The Sham Mirrors (latter track being a definite highlight, as the title suggests, it’s a distorted jewel of a song…), the band has released their first full-length Aspera Heims Symphonia, complete with a few early Eps. Former track is more rooted in black metal, but already shows’ Garm unique vision and flair for dark classically-based textures.

Ascension Theory – Eridani, Warriors: Another unsigned band whom I have had the pleasure of hearing in recent days, this one features a promising leader in vocalist and keyboardist Tim Becker. Latter song, available at www.mp3.com, features a strong arrangement, and despite the title, no power metal influence. J

Chiaroscuro – Broken Everything, Luminescence: This band is a testament to the reality facing many unsigned bands, after releasing a self-financed album Brilliant Pools Of Darkness four years ago, they have yet to earn a record deal. Former track features a memorable chorus, while the latter contains some great keyboard work. Both songs available on www.mp3.com

Dreamscape – Day And Night Illusion, It’s Not The End: Although vocalist Hubi Meisel’s strained vocals may be a bit difficult to take, this band’s instrumental abilities, in full force on the latter track, more than make up for it.

Edge Of Sanity – Forever Together Forever, Sacrificed: I sometimes run out of things to say about Dan Swano, one of metal’s true renaissance men. Here are two tracks that marked turning points in his career, the latter being one of the first times he showcased his clean vocals and willingness to go in routes most death metal acts wouldn’t follow. Latter song features contributions from his close friend Mikael Akerfeldt.

Elsesphere – Hole Inside My Head, Last Night On Earth: Progressive metal act brought to my attention through the tireless staff at Seismic Radio. Both of these songs are largely keyboard-dominated and feature some great musicianship. Definitely a band worthy of more attention. Unfortunately, I know little of the band besides what I’ve heard…

Enchant – Invisible, My Everafter: After a few lineup changes (founding drummer Paul Craddick out after recording, bassist Ed Platt back in), the band returns this month with Blink Of An Eye, which should please many prog followers. The songs have a harder edge and are more wide open than their last, but still warmly melodic and highly thoughtful.

Everon – Bridge Theme/Across The Land, Puppet Show: Dream Theater and Opeth aren’t the only ones who have or are planning to release double albums this year, as this band’s latest Bridge, from which the dynamic latter track hails, will be soon followed by another release Flesh. Latter track is an instrumental showing the more metallic side of the band.

Fatima Hill – Ultimata, The Black Bat: Japan is a strange country, their devotion to metal is legendary, which can work both ways…yet they have produced very few substantial metal acts of their own. This is one of the latest bands to attempt international recognition, and would be successful if not for the horrible vocalist. The latter track is musically impressive enough to get an entry here, however.

Flowing Tears – Merlin, Sistersun: Despite the kind words I had to say about female-fronted bands in the column that had to be rewritten due to computer problems, I’ll admit that there has been a bit of an oversaturation. This band tries hard and both tracks definitely have their moments, but this is still a lesser entry in the subgenre.

High Wheel – Into Voyage, Blind Archer: Progressive rock project led by Wolfgang Heirl and has released four albums. Latter track from their latest Back From The Void is a half-hour epic in the proud prog tradition, featuring many great sections and a marked sense of purpose. Former instrumental is a showcase of Heirl’s skill on guitar.

Kaipa – The Name Belongs To You, Mirrors Of Yesterday: Roine Stolt has sure been prolific lately, appearing on three albums and working on the next Flower Kings release in less than a year. This reunion effort by his first band features some great instrumentation (killer solos on both songs here), but they do tend to drag at times and I don’t care for the latter’s verses. Second song available at www.prog4you.com

Kharma Cosmic – The Meeting Ground, Andromeda Speaks: Unsigned French progressive metal act. Based on these songs, both of which are over eleven minutes and contain some excellent extended instrumental excursions and guitar-keyboard interplay, they need a record deal fast. Both songs available at www.mp3.com, latter song sounding like Yes with more power chords.

Marduk – Sulphur Souls, Those Of The Unlight: This is probably my “token band that causes intense debate among BM fans but I’ve ignored until now” entry of the week. Both of these tracks are far more impressive than the mindless speed of Panzer Division, the latter featuring a devastating lead riff.

Nebelnest – Solilock, Nova Express: I know this avant-prog band writes out its name with all capitals except for the Es, but I don’t give a damn! Latter title track from their last release is a lengthy instrumental featuring some classical touches and some nightmarish dissonant sections, while the more ephemeral former track is available at www.theendrecords.com

Porcupine Tree –Gravity Eyelids, Synesthesia: In a clever move, the band has decided to do something other than the typical prerelease mp3, releasing the latter track as a Shockwave movie instead (an .exe, don’t worry), available at their official site. The song successfully balances their more experimental side (Stars Die is a highly recommended compilation of pre-Stupid Dream material) with their more song-oriented material here, and shows evidence that Steven’s work with Opeth has rubbed off on him…

Power Of Omens – With These Words, A Toast To Mankind: This Texas progressive metal act’s latest has been delayed until October, but they have given Seismic permission to play from it, and will soon feature new tracks, including these ones, on their mp3.com page. Both of these tracks feature some great technical musicianship, some great keyboard work, and Chris Salinas’ uncanny vocal similarity to Geoff Tate.

Prototype – Mind In Motion, Trinity: This LA-based act has appeared on tons of tribute albums, but deserves recognition for their own material, especially the latter track, which has a great chorus. Former track also shows that this band has a lot of potential.

Rapture – Transfixion, To Forget: Doom metal act that has received some comparisons to Katatonia, they have a similar gift for hypnotic guitar lines, although their songs are longer and they haven’t ditched the growls yet. Both of these songs from Futile show that they deserve greater attention. Latter track available at www.digitalmetal.com

Vintersorg – ESP Mirage, A Metaphysical Drama: Perhaps realizing that Cosmic Genesis was spoiled by the drum machine, on Visions From The Spiral Generator he beefs up his lineup with a killer rhythm section: Steve DiGiorgio and Borknagar bandmate Asgeir Mickelson. Both of these songs head in a more progressive direction, but the trademark sound of his last three is still in place.

Warlord – Achilles Revenge, Invaders: In which one of the greatest drummers on the planet, Mark Zonder, reforms with his pre-Fates band, albeit without the original vocalist, here replaced by…Joacim Cans of that laughingstock Hammerfall? (In defense, he and others have acknowledged the band as a major influence.) Somehow it works better than it sounds, despite his limitations this is quality power metal, with some FW-ish moments and of course Zonder’s percussive skills.

Thus ends this chapter…just hand over the beer and nobody gets hurt!