Issue 5 - July 2001

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Greetings, devoted readers! This is the first column I’ve written since getting the position at www.ultimatemetal.com. Happy 4th of July to all my native readers…I hope you listened to Iced Earth! This edition is brought to you by the letter A. And now, the songs!

Spiral Architect – Excessit, Adaptability: I begin with this album because it was arguably last year’s most discussed progressive metal debut, and one that has set new expectations for technicality. An extremely demanding listen, but a must for any discerning progressive listener.

Ice Age – Perpetual Child, The Bottom Line: I had initially ignored this band’s debut The Great Divide but after hearing the excellent Liberation, I gave it a re-examination and found it to be much better than I had first perceived. The former is a great extended progressive-metal piece, while the latter displays their gift for writing highly memorable choruses.

Vanden Plas – Garden Of Stones, You Fly: One of several bands who while being considerably progressive, also possess an accessibility that I feel can appeal to all metal fans. The latter track, which also appears on their excellent live album, is a good example of this balance. The former is a more complex and multifaceted eight-minute song.

Ark – Torn, Just A Little: Burn The Sun has received ecstatic reviews from nearly all who have heard it. Among this band’s many strengths is the ability to write technical material without confusing inexperienced listeners and incorporate diverse influences. The latter song, featuring a superb acoustic guitar signature, is a great example.

Enchant – Catharsis, Below Zero: One song each from this band’s first two albums. They are among the most accomplished songwriters in progressive rock, and on their best songs simultaneously challenge and endear to the listener’s sensibilities. The former features instrumental expertise largely absent from Juggling/Dropping, while vocalist Ted Leonard shines on the latter.

In Flames – In Flames, Everlost: Unfortunately, I can’t remember who mentioned this band in the survey. In preparation for next month’s live album, here are two from their unjustly neglected debut Lunar Strain (from which two songs were remade for Colony), which features Mikael Stanne on vocals. The latter is an ambitious two-part song. First half of second song available at www.bestofmetal.net

Dan Swano – The Big Sleep, Uncreation: A near-ubiquitous presence in death metal, I was intrigued after hearing that his prog-influenced band Nightingale was added to the Progpower lineup, These songs are from a solo album called Moontower, and showcase this man’s challenging vision, and have great keyboards. The latter also features a great melodic guitar line.

Therion – Nightside Of Eden, Siren Of The Woods: One of Dan’s many guest appearances was contributing vocals to this highly innovative classical-metal act’s 1997 album Theli, generally considered to be their finest work. The lengthy latter track emphasizes Christoffer Jonsson’s operatic approach to songwriting, while the former is more metallic, featuring a memorable chorus (the exodus of our genesis…) and even a Randy Rhoads-like solo.

Nevermore – Chrome Black Future, Optimist Or Pessimist: By now, most of you know how much I love this band. Fans who only know them through their more recent albums should definitely give their first two releases a try, as they are less polished but contain many hints of the greatness to come and feature just as much raw power and assaultive performances from Loomis and Williams.

Borknagar – Rivalry Of Phantoms, The Presence Is Ominous: One of black metal’s most innovative acts, beginning as a side project (Of whom I don’t know, excuse my lack of research!), but soon following their own vision. Both of these songs feature great riffs, accomplished clean vocals from Simen Hestanes, and an atmosphere that suggest progressive influences as well as a black metal background. Second song available at official site.

Amorphis – Captured State, Grieve Stricken Heart: Many have lamented this band’s abandonment of their death metal origins, but I feel that their latest album Am Universum, while still uneven, comes much closer to achieving their current aspirations. The latter is a particularly rewarding and imaginative composition.

October Thorns – Page One, No Idle Phrase: The only unsigned band to be featured in Songs To Watch, they are a Brooklyn (my homeland!) based progressive metal act who has opened for Symphony X and Nevermore, and have attracted much attention with an excellent six-song demo. The first track alone should have got these guys a contract by now! Demo available in its entirety at www.mp3.com

Anathema – Emotional Winter: One of the leaders of the British doom metal movement, and a long-standing favorite among critics and listeners. Judgement is my first exposure to this band, and I am pleasantly impressed. The songs are very subdued and require multiple listens before fully appreciating their emotionally charged power. New album coming soon.

Porcupine Tree – Hatesong, Russia On Ice: A highly innovative and enigmatic British progressive rock project led by Steven Wilson, a name undoubtedly familiar to Opeth fans. These long songs (the latter being thirteen minutes) from their latest release Lightbulb Sun display why Mikael Akerfeldt is such a huge fan, as they have incredible dynamics, impassioned vocals, and an Opeth-like ability to flawlessly execute mood shifts.

Avantasia – The Final Sacrifice: Tobias Sammet’s epic power metal creation has been the most highly praised album in that genre of this year. This is a non-album track available on the single of the Metal Opera’s title song, and features a huge chorus with vocal assists from Michael Kiske and David Defeis of Virgin Steele. More basic than most of the album, but still a must for fans.

Conception – Water Confines, Soliloquy: This Norwegian progressive metal act’s four albums attracted frequent Queensryche comparisons, and two of its members have gone on to continued success in Kamelot and Ark. These songs from their second release Parallel Minds are highly innovative, the former featuring a great keyboard interlude and the latter being a three-part epic.

Avalon – Lord Of Dignity, They Are In Between Us: This German prog-metal act has attracted their share of attention for the divergent influences employed on their latest album Eurasia. These songs from the earlier Vision Eden show that they should not be overlooked and contain some great dynamics and powerful vocals. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

No specials this week, but I am going to evaluate the possibilities for future ideas and hope to have a feature ready for the next edition or two. One definite future special will be a list of upcoming fall releases accompanied by suggestions from the band’s catalogues.