cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL’S SONGS TO WATCH
Issue 56 – “An uncertain future?”
Written February 25-26, 2002
www.mp3.com/stations/songstowatch - recent additions:

Alchemy X – Interlude (More Real Than Real)
Atraphine – Crying Outward
Divinity Destroyed – Threnody
Esucarys – The Answer
Land Of Chocolate – Upping The Ante
Moonlyght – The Sceptic Traveller
R. Sean Faust – Midnight Express
Within Another – Written In Water

Greetings, devoted readers. This song list was actually prepared a few weeks ago, but being the eternal procrastinator that I am…

A.C.T. – Mr. Landlord, The Effect: This may not be the Last Epic for this quirky Swedish act, but whether it is epic at all is a different question entirely. Despite the occasionally nagging hooks, this band’s talent is apparent in both songs. Former track available at official site.

After The Fall – Dancing With Daggers, The Year Of The Dragon: More high quality progressive rock you won’t hear about anywhere else, available at www.mp3.com

Andeavor – Face Paint, House Of Rags: Rush-inspired progressive metal act from Pennsylvania, the latter song being a lengthy and emotionally charged track. Formerly known as Andromeda, whose album is finally released in the US and Europe on March 11th.

Ancient Rites – Victory Or Valhalla, …And The Horns Called For War: Viking metal with all the expected elements, and the battle cry in the former track will linger in the listener’s mind…

Anekdoten – Firefly, Here: One of the best progressive rock acts to emerge from Sweden, or anywhere else from that matter, in the 90s, their sound combines hauntingly fragile sections with a large amount of Crimson-derived dissonance. New album coming soon.

Bloodbath – The Soul Collector, Trail Of Insects: You probably know the personnel on this homage to the early days of death metal. Whether it has a reason to exist, especially given that the strengths of its members obviously lie elsewhere, I’m not sure.

Bubblemath – Miscreant Citizen, Doll Hammer: Difficult to categorize based on the evidence here, the most commendable qualities would be the manic energy and electronics run amok in both songs…just don’t expect metal, prog or otherwise. Samples available at www.mp3.com

California Guitar Trio – Zundoko-Bushi, Swampy Space: Predominantly acoustic instrumentals by a trio of former pupils of Robert Fripp (the former track contains some homages to their mentor), none of whom hail from California. The group’s talent and willingness to break expected confines is obvious here.

Edenbridge – The Undiscovered Land, Red Ball In Blue Sky: Fairly dull female fronted power metal act with the expected orchestration, the former track features D.C. Cooper, who has found his way through several mediocre projects to the delight of Perpetual Motion readers.

Forest Stream – Snowfall, Black Swans: One of the first signings on the Elitist label, this Russian doom act’s recent debut Tears Of Mortal Solitude has received many positive reviews, as both of these songs create a bleak atmosphere and balance some folk influences. Samples available at www.mp3.com

Freak Kitchen – Heroin Breakfast, Maggots Of Corruption: There are a lot of things to admire about this band’s anchor Mattias Eklundh, especially his prowess as a stunt guitarist, and most of his band’s songs are highly catchy. But that gift alone doesn’t make for an easy recommendation, as his penchant for silliness and his often irritating voice can cause the proceedings to become a smarter than average gimmick.

Hammers Of Misfortune – Doomed Parade, A Room And A Riddle: Eclectic unsigned band heavily promoted by Jim Raggi as one of his favorite new acts. Both of these songs have strange vocal arrangements and foreboding atmosphere, and I agree with LOTFP’s resident expert…get this innovative band a contract. Some samples available at www.mp3.com

Heaven’s Cry – Gaia’s Judgement, Your God’s Crime: Possibly the only band I’ve heard that has three guitarists and never for a second sounds like they’re showing off their chops, instead opting for to use them for texture and to complement the arrangements. Unfortunately, over five years passed between their debut (from which both of these songs originate) and last year’s excellent Primal Power Addiction.

Lacrimas Profundere – The Crown Of Leaving, Adorer And Somebody: German doom metal act who has several albums to their credit, the songs listed are my sole exposure to them so far…both contain a highly morose atmosphere. Latter song available at www.mp3.com

Lunaris – Growth Denied, …Of The One: If we never see a second Spiral Architect release, this project may be to blame. In its own way this material is just as striking, balancing the savagery of black metal with a high amount of technicality, including some insane keyboard passages. Former track available at www.mp3.com

Mattsson – Chained To My Pain, Lead Me On My Way: This could sound like a dubious inclusion being that it’s on shred label Lion Music and contains Lance King on vocals, but both of these tracks are pleasant surprises, the former being a warmly acoustic track, while the latter finds a soulful groove…my god, please tell me I didn’t write that!

Maximum Indifference – Beware The Glabyglop, Apparatus: Instrumental trio from California who creates soundscapes that can be alternately ethereal and chaotic…

Negura Bunget – songs II & III: Probably the first Romanian band I’ve featured in this column’s short life. Both of these tracks from their well-received ‘N Crugu Bradului (sp?) album are epic black metal, maintaining a grim atmosphere without sounding like the monotonous cacophony favored by many.

OSI – Head, Memory Daydreams Lapses: A daring experiment or just another self-indulgent DT side project? Although this album definitely requires multiple listens, right now I and many others are leaning towards the former. The former track is a deceptive simple offering that seeps into the listener’s head, while the latter is based on some complex layering by Kevin Moore.

Pagan’s Mind – Embracing Fear, A New Beginning: This band’s Celestial Entrance album has been the subject of intense discussion in progressive metal circles. Both of these tracks are from their debut Infinity Divine, and the band’s talents are obvious here, especially the commanding riff of the former and the latter’s instrumental section. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Pathos – Inner Ego, Inhale: Russian act reminiscent of early progressive metal (i.e. there is a strong thrash influence here) that has received a lot of attention. The former track is the most successful I’ve heard from this band so far, it includes a hypnotic middle section whose despondency is reminiscent Of Nevermore. The latter does have some raw power, but for some reason fails to leave a lasting impression.

The Postman Syndrome – Hedgehog’s Dilemma, Volume Fact: New Jersey based act that plays a decidedly aggressive form of progressive metal, or are they in fact a metalcore (don’t let that frighten you, this band is more creative than most in that oversaturated genre) act with heavy progressive leanings? Judge for yourself at www.mp3.com

Prymary – Remember, Roads Of Fire: One of the most accomplished debuts I’ve heard in a long time, this progressive metal act combines elements of early Dream Theater and Fates Warning with an expansiveness and melodic sensibility reminiscent of Rush. The latter track is a nearly 25 minute epic that deftly navigates through numerous impressive sections, and the former is a poignant midtempo track.

RPWL – The Way It Is, Gentle Art Of Swimming: This German act received tons of rave reviews for last year’s Trying To Kiss The Sun, most of which focused on their songwriting abilities and Pink Floyd influences, which are in full force on the excellent 10-minute latter track, included on Stock, a recently released mini-album of material remaining from the sessions that produced their first two albums.

Septic Flesh – Chasing The Chimera, Crescent Moon: Death metal act that has grown progressively weirder with each record, or maybe not, as both of these songs from their debut Mystic Places Of Dawn find them heading in a sort of psychedelic doom direction, particularly the eight-minute latter track…

Sins Of Thy Beloved – The Flame Of Wrath, My Love: The two epic leadoff tracks from this band’s releases, often hailed as one of the best in the crowded “beauty and the beast” field. The use of violin and classical piano greatly enhances the doomy feel…

Spastic Ink – The 178 Thing, A Wild Hare: Instrumental madness from the deeply disturbed mind of Ron Jarzombek, the long planned sequel Ink Compatible is tentatively scheduled to see the light of day last year. The latter track is an adaptation of the score of a Warner Bros. Cartoon, of all things. Even crazier, the aforementioned next album will include vocals.

Thought Industry – Tall Ships On The Rocks, Kiss Judy Fly: This band started out as technical metal with strange arrangements and even stranger song titles and has gradually become less complex over time, here arriving at a warmly melodic sound…

Tired Tree – Final Chime, Returned To Leave: Progressive rock project led by Mattias Holmgren, who doubles in the melodic death-turned-prog act Embracing. The accomplished songwriting and keyboard-led delicate arrangements make me think of Dan Swano’s projects in this vein…

Voivod – We Carry On, I Don’t Wanna Wake Up: Controversy over the presence of Jason Newsted in their comeback album The Multiverse (or is it self-titled as indicated on mp3.com?) and his subsequent comments about the cash whores that used to be his employers have surrounded this release. The band has also taken some negative criticism for the music, which isn’t nearly as innovative as their pioneering late 80s works. Judge for yourself at www.mp3.com and www.metalexpress.no

Xinema – In The Scent Of The Night, Different Ways: Swedish progressive rock act who are the first non-Canadian act on the Unicorn label, host to several intriguing bands. Both of these songs feature some strong melodies and accomplished playing, samples available at their official site.