Issue 6 - July 13, 2001

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
FOR YOUR LISTENING CONVENIENCE

Greetings, devoted readers! Not much to say this week, but once again I face an uncertain future as I expect to be promoted to full-time status on my internship, which is great in terms of purchasing power but leaves me with less time to obtain music through the computer. I originally planned to include my Fall 2001 And Beyond Releases Preview this week, but since I have more than enough artists to write about, many of whom have never been featured before, I will wait until next week. This week's edition is brought to you by the whole damn alphabet. And now, the songs…

Angel Dust - 'Behind The Mirror', 'When I Di'e: Century Media has reissued this band's first post-reformation album Border Of Reality in the wake of their successful stint opening for Nevermore and Opeth. This album is more eccentric and less immediately accessible than Bleed or Enlighten The Darkness, but the band's superb unconventional guitar-keyboard interplay is all over the place in these lengthy tracks.

Bal-Sagoth - 'Lost Cities Of Antarctica', 'Draconis Albionbesis': Perhaps the ultimate over the top metal act with their enormous song titles, bombastic presentation, and overblown sci-fi/fantasy lyrics. In the center of it all is vocalist Byron, who alternates between death metal growls and a deep narrative voice. Definitely an acquired taste and not something I'd normally recommend, but these songs are better than anything I've heard from them so far…

Chroma Key - 'Even The Waves', 'Another Permanent Address': Yet another Dream Theater-related item, this time the project of former keyboardist Kevin Moore. This one differentiates itself by distancing from metal entirely and going in a more atmospheric direction. Both of these songs contain some great playing and emotive vocals. Available at www.mp3.com

Bruce Dickinson - 'No Way Out pt.1', 'Spirit Of Joy', 'Rescue Day': I'm under contract to Ultimate Metal, I can get away with including Maiden-related items now! In anticipation of an upcoming compilation, here are only three of Bruce's many non-album tracks from his solo days that are as good as anything from inconsistent efforts like BTP and Skunkworks.

Digital Ruin - 'The Forgotten', 'Machine Cage': Progressive metal act who has attracted positive feedback for their latest effort Dwelling In The Out. The band's songs usually center around dark themes and have great keyboard usage. The latter track also includes some eerie sound effects and distorted vocals.

Dimmu Borgir - 'Indoctrination', 'Blessings Upon The Throne': I finally relented and bought Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia last week and it is the first purely black metal album (I'm sure some purists will disagree) that I have enjoyed. The former is one of the more aggressive tracks from the album, featuring no clean vocals and a good amount of blasting, but counters it with impressive musicianship and a well-placed orchestral interlude.

Eldritch - 'Bio-trinity', 'Bittersweet Penny': Italian power metal act who has several albums out and I haven't heard much from, but these songs from their latest release Reverse are a less conventional form of power metal, incorporating heavy riffs and keyboards in a manner similar to Angel Dust. Both songs available at www.metalmeltdown.com

Jacob's Dream - 'Sanctuary', 'Black Souls': Power/prog act whose first album gained generally positive reviews and some Queensryche comparisons, but left no impression on me. But the first song (not a Maiden or anyone else's cover) is awesome, containing a great riff and highly precise instrumentation. Unfortuantely the latter is nowhere near as good. Both songs available at www.metalmeltdown.com

Kamelot - 'Proud Nomad', 'Call Of The Sea': I got some responses concerning this band last week, despite the fact that they weren't included. Rather than refer back to this year's Karma, here are two songs from their 1995 debut Eternity, which featured a different singer in Tate/Midnight soundalike Mark Vanderbilt, but a similar high quality of musicianship. Former song available at www.noiserecords.com

Katatonia - 'I Transpire', 'March 4': One of my most pleasant discoveries of this year, this band's hypnotic and deeply affecting Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a superb album, and their earlier material is just as good from what I have heard and read. The latter track hails from the Teargas EP, but can be obtained from www.bestofmetal.net. Both are among the heavier songs from the album's sessions.

Labyrinth - 'Kathryn', 'Behind The Mas'k: Sons Of Thunder was initially one of last year's most poorly reviewed albums, owing more to the album's troubled recording and disputes with Neil Kernon than the music, which while not as great as 1998's Return To Heaven Denied, still showed off this power/prog band's great instrumental and songwriting skills. The album has already been reexamined by many, and should grow in respect. Great bass intro on the former track.

Magnitude 9 - 'Flight Of Icarus': I've already included Bruce, so why not a Maiden cover? This band's Reality In Focus album is a superb progressive metal album, which while including some first-rate musicianship is still highly accessible. And the Maiden cover does not dishonor the original like so many others, being faithful while adding some touches of their own, particularly in the drumming.

Manticora - 'Felice', 'Shadows With Tales To Tell': This Danish act has quietly became one of power metal's best hopes for the future, with riffs similar to Iced Earth and arrangements owing much to Blind Guardian. The former track shows off their more adventurous side, using keyboards and female vocals, while the latter is an intricate heavy track with a great Guardian-like chorus.

Soilwork - 'Skin After Skin', 'Wings Of Domain': A bit of a dissenting opinion, as this Gothenburg band's latest A Predator's Portrait has received mostly rave reviews from critics, but I don't care for the album at all. Yet these songs from their recently reissued debut Steelbath Suicide do impress me, reminding me of In Flames' last two albums.

Tiles - 'Token Pledge', 'Dress Rehearsal': More from this critically acclaimed progressive metal act with obvious Rush influences, this time hailing from their eponymous debut. The latter track is a superb instrumental, while the former also appears in a live version on Presents Of Mind. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Tristania - 'Angina', 'Beyond The Veil': One in a long series of bands that incorporate a mixture of operatic female and guttural male vocals, and symphonic influences in their doom-laden music, and one of the strongest in the genre. Unfortunately, their future is uncertain after leader Morten Veland's departure. First song available at ]www.bestofmetal.net