Issue 76 - August 11, 2004

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL'S SONGS TO WATCH

Scratching the surface to find the best new music.

“Truth is sublime but talk is just a waste of time…”

Issue 76 – August 8-10, 2004

Future projects: There is no definite on these projects, but one thing I’m considering doing is a spotlight issue devoted to covering as many of the bands and/or recent releases that I’m familiar with on a certain label, in the manner of my 2003 year end list and Ultimate Metal specials. The first two I’d tackle would be Inside Out and The End, and would likely be written after their release schedule for 2004 is over.

And now, the songs:

Astriaal – Reaper Of Dark Ages, Arborescence: This Australian black metal band is one of a few select acts that has excelled at balancing the brutal aspects of their music with almost ambient textures, perhaps it’s no accident that the latter track shares its name with an Ozric Tentacles album. The former track does a great job at showcasing the contrasts.

Atrox - Tentacles, Heartquake: Over the course of three albums, plus one EP, this Norwegian act has developed a reputation as an innovative and challenging act, the most arresting feature being the acrobatic female vocals. These tracks from Orgasm are a bit more accessible than their last two, especially the latter track, but still rooted in the avant garde. Latter track available on official site.

Blut Aus Nord - The Howling Of God, Procession Of The Dead Clowns: The Work Which Transforms God, the latest release by this elusive French act, has become a critical favorite in the metal community. While not the most ideal introduction, the ten-minute latter closing track is one case in which a minimalist approach can lead to top notch atmospheric black metal. And the latter track permeates malevolence from almost every note.

Borknagar - Origin, The Inner Ocean Hypothesis: To paraphrase Vintersorg’s other release (at times this is virtually indistinguishable from it), the latest Epic from Borknagar could use more focus and less blur. The latter tracks are two of the more memorable from it, the former having some of the better riffs on the album, while the latter succeeds in the prog territory Mr. V has been exploring, anchored by a strong Lazare keyboard figure that recurs throughout the track.

California Guitar Trio - The Marsh, Cosmo Calypso: Whitewater is the latest release from these Fripp disciples, following their successful collaboration with the rhythm section of Crimson. As expected, the remarkable chemistry on acoustic guitar between these three is evident on both tracks, and there’s also some pleasant melodies and atmosphere to be found as well.

Cea Serin – Embracing The Absence, Scripted Suffering: After building a reputation in the progressive metal community as an adventurous act through several mp3.com-circulated demos (on which most of the songs on their official debut first emerged) and a Progpower pre-party appearance, this two-man band’s initial full-length Where Memories Combine has been gaining rave reviews. The lengthy former track is a good showcase for their unorthodox approach, while the latter track integrates seemingly unrelated instrumental sections without sounding incoherent, also featuring some of the best vocals on the disc. Excerpts available at official site.

Cerberus Shoal - Bogart The Change, A Cloud No Bigger Than A Man’s Head: These experimentalists have at least five full-lengths and various EPs and collaborative releases to their name, and have recently toured with Kayo Dot. Their latest Bastion of Itchy Preeves (explain that to me again?), is a 70-minute plus excursion into dark yet often playful avant-grade music. The lengthy former track shows off this band’s considerable instrumental abilities and has some bizarre vocals, while the latter (reprised toward the end) heads into post-rock territory with some blissful atmospherics.

Cobweb Strange - Astral Projection, I’d Give Everything: Atlanta based progressive rock outfit with three self-released albums to their name. The former track is divided into three sections (only seven minutes though) and features some impressive instrumental work, especially from the bass, which is often used as a lead instrument in their compositions. The latter track shows off the more song-oriented side of the band.

Dead Meadow - Dusty Nothing, Good Moanin’: This isn’t quite the most blatant Sabbath clone I’ve heard and that label would be somewhat unfair in this case, but just about all elements of these guys’ stoner rock point directly to the originators of (doom) metal, or to the Nevada deserts. As the previous sentence implied, these tracks are nonstop rifffests that will appeal to any fan of the stoner genre. Latter track available at www.epitonic.com

Dead Soul Tribe – Spiders And Flies, Just Like A Timepiece: A quick mention here as I’ve only heard these tracks from The January Tree, Devon Graves’ third album under the DST name in as many years, and I plan to do a summary review when I hear the rest of it. The former track opens the album beginning with a thick bassline and is similar to the best material on last year’s excellent A Murder Of Crows, though slightly more complex instrumentally especially towards the end. The latter is a reworking of a song from Devon/Buddy’s long out of print solo album.

Disharmonia Mundi - Red Clouds, Morgue Of Centuries: On their latest, Fragments of D-Generation (would it have hurt you to put another E there?), makes a perhaps unwise decision by recruiting Soilwork’s Speed for vocal chores, not exactly the best way to avoid the dreaded derivative melodeath label. And while there are some good riffs and better than average writing here, this won’t win over anyone disillusioned with the genre, and that includes me.

The Flower Kings - Driver's Seat, A Vampire's View: The ever-prolific proggers return with Adam & Eve (originally titled Love Supreme after its wayyyyy overlong title track), in which Roine Stolt takes a reduced role on vocals and the jazz leanings of their previous are largely absent. Daniel Gildenlow sings lead vocals on three of the album’s tracks, including the two mentioned here. The former is another epic that is largely enjoyable for its first half, but loses steam towards the end, and the latter is a theatrical composition that would not be out of place on a POS album.

Jag Panzer - Battered & Bruised, Legion Immortal: Following two repackagings of their 80s back catalogue, the veteran metallers return with Casting The Stones, their first album of new material in three years. Both of these tracks pick up where Mechanized Warfare left off, dominated by no-nonsense riffs, Harry’s soaring vocals, and Chris Broderick’s stellar lead playing. Both songs available at official site.

Klimt 1918 - Parade Of Adolescence, Pale Song: One of several interesting melancholic rock bands I’ve been alerted to through the Katatonia forum on this site, others being Sometree, Ten Year Drought, Rain Paint, etc. Both of these tracks rely on moody vocals and minimal instrumentation to draw the listener’s attention, and are largely successful. Former track available at official site.

Lac Placide – Growing Circles, Fairies And Tales: Don’t be misled by the title of the latter song by this French outfit, this is pretty far removed from power metal, instead being progressive rock. The music on these tracks is certainly solid, especially on the first track, but what makes this a bit more interesting are the vocal arrangements, which rely on interplay between a male and female vocalist, and are delivered in both English and French. Both songs available at www.vitaminic.com

Land Of Chocolate - Red Pill, Regaining The Feel: Second album from this Pennsylavnia prog act whose songs are modern sounding yet draw heavily from first generation prog, which has earned them a strong reputation among followers of the genre. The latter title track, available at their official site, is a deceptively complex composition, while the former begins as a semi-ballad but quickly gains a larger scope, aided by a keyboard sound that complements the song’s primary melody perfectly.

Manes - Ende, No Damn Brakes: Beginning existence as a black metal act respected in underground circles, this project went into extended hibernation and reemerged last year on Code666 as a completely different entity, Vilosophe presents them as an avant-garde electronic act. The songs here are adventurous while remaining somewhat accessible, especially on the former track, which contains a memorable chorus…could this be a hint at Garm’s claim that the next Ulver will be more rock oriented? Probably not, but still intriguing anyway. Former track available at www.auralmusic.net

Mastodon – Aqua Dementia, Iron Tusk: 2004 has been a highly successful year for Relapse both artistically and financially, and the hype for this band’s upcoming Leviathan opus, inspired by Moby Dick, has been relentless. The sound on the latter track, available at www.relapse.com, will be familiar to those who enjoyed Remission and shows an increased sense of dynamics, and monstrous riffs abound on both tracks.

The Mayan Factor - Warflower, Son Of Sam/The Prophecy: Reader suggested (about a year ago…nobody can I say I don’t procrastinate) independent act who plays a sort of intelligent pop rock, nothing closely related to prog or metal here, but the former track gets by on the strength of its songwriting, and features some effective acoustic lead work. The two-part latter track starts off in the same manner, but falls apart in its second half thanks to some ill-advised vocals. Both songs available at official site.

The Meads Of Asphodel - Assault & Battery, Rise In Godless Hell: This is one case where the cliché about the band’s history being just as interesting as their music holds true. These black metallers have posed in full armor on their covers, collaborated with members of Hawkwind (the former being a cover of one of their trademark songs), released an EP that explored radical Islam, and their most recent full-length Exhuming The Grave Of Yeshua is said to be one of the most bizarre BM releases ever (which I haven’t heard unfortunately). Both songs available at www.supernalmusic.com

Megadeth - Kick The Chair, Of Mice And Men: The System Has Failed, and Bush is the reason…but this isn’t the place to discuss politics, instead I’ll talk about what little I’ve heard of Dave’s “this time I’m serious” comeback attempt. The former track lives up to the prereleasse hype by being one of their most aggressive tracks in years, and the solos by both Dave and the reinstated Chris Poland kick ass. While it would be wrong to expect Rust In Peace II (if you want that, get the remaster), this is definitely up to CTE standards. The latter is more iffy, like the advance single Die Dead Enough there’s not a hint of thrash, this aligns more with Cryptic Writings IMO, and features nostalgic lyrics that sound weird…Dave getting sentimental?

Mike Keneally Band - Louie, This Tastes Like A Hotel: The former Zappa touring guitarist has garnered tons of critical acclaim and gained a fervent cult following over a series of quirky, genre-defying releases, these tracks come from his latest Dog. The former opening track is one of his hardest rocking songs to date, while the latter is possibly (would be definitely for anyone less eclectic) his most progressive composition to date, a 15-minute track with approximately a hundred distinct sections.

Mithras - World Beyond The Veil, Search The Endless Planes: You know the story: Terrorizer drooled swimming pools over this British death metal’s acts second album (now available domestically on Candlelight), rest of the metal community follows suit. And the praise here is justified, as this album brings to mind a cosmic Morbid Angel, equally adept as nearly technically perfect death (the former and the majority of the album) as ambient soundscapes (the latter and the opening track which precedes the former).

Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm, No River To Take Me Home: For years this band has meant the last word in extreme metal for its vast fanbase and has been regarded as one of the most creative bands in the genre. One thing they possess is an absolute mastery of soft-loud contrasts, evident throughout their latest, which is dominated by their post-rock and melancholic rock leanings they have been exploring. The latter track is a lengthy excursion that is genuinely creepy at times and leads towards a violent catharsis, while the latter shows they can be just as effective when understated musically. Consider this relative newcomer converted.

Officium Triste - Frozen Tears, Pathway Of Broken Glass: Dutch doom band with a handful of releases to their name, the former track dates back to 1997 I believe, and has a despondent My Dying Bride feel to it. The more recent latter track, available on their official site, also should appeal to fans of the romantic doom style.

Radiation 4 - Tick Tock Tick, When Animals Attack: If you ordered from CM lately, you might have received an underwhelming sampler from their hardcore subsidiary Abacus (your new favorite label…yeah right.). Along with Narcissus, this was one of the few bands on it I was intrigued by. While this doesn’t cause the immediate negative reaction most –core does to me, it’s not something I’d listen to on a daily basis either, despite some selling points such as the insane guitar interjections in the latter. Former song available at official site.

Ritual - Lobby, Did I Go Wrong: Previously unavailable except in their native Sweden, Superb Birth is the second album from this band that’s equal parts folk, prog, and classic rock, and a favorite of Daniel Gildenlow. The latter track was released as a single in their homeland and has an infectious chorus, while the former displays both Patrik Lundstrom’s emotive vocals and their ability to balance between their prog roots and their heavier leanings.

Sirenia - Lithium And A Lover, Save Me From Myself: An Elixir For Existence is the second release from the band led by Tristania founder Morten Veland. Both of these songs follow in the beauty and the beast formula he helped perfect, but don’t really break any new ground. That’s not to say there’s nothing to recommend here, as both songs have their disarming moments.

Sublux – Bargaining With God, Smallest Step: On their independently released album Nothing That Is Still, this band succeeds in building melancholic atmospheres through subdued instrumentation and sleepy vocals. Both of these songs drift and wander throughout, but leave a feeling of emptiness throughout despite the often ethereal sounds within.

SunnO - Bass Aliens, Decay2 (Nihil's Maw): Loyal readers, all nine of you: If you ever need something to get annoying houseguests the hell out, this would be it. While this project is correctly lauded for creating ungodly heavy drones, there are more development to these monolithic noisescapes than that description suggests. The former surrounds its chaotic feedback in sounds that might have emerged from some particularly warped space rock composition, while the latter features guest Attila Csihar and is designed for inflicting maximum pain upon the listener…I’m still scarred.

Technician - Blowfish, How The West Was Won: As the name hints at, this is a math-rock outfit, based in the Philadelphia area. The latter track is their side of a split 7” with Dysrhythmia, and both of these songs are heavy in spite of the complex instrumental work. Both songs available at official site.

Therion - Uthark Runa, The Wondrous World Of Punt: Two more from the masters of orchestral metal’s recent pair of releases. The former track from the Lemurian half is one of the more immediate pieces on this dense work, featuring some nice harmonic guitar work and an Arabian feel to the music, while the latter is a darker track that develops into the typical choral bombast, one of the longer compositions here.

Threshold - Ground Control, Opium: Subsurface is another solid release for these once inconsistent and now dependable progressive metallers, and an improvement over their last release. The former is one of the more striking tracks on the album, featuring an anthemic hook in the verses that gives way to a lilting melodic chorus, and the dynamics here prove these guys are more than just another DT-derived prog metal act. The latter track is a midtempo rocker with great lyrics about the media’s influence in shaping opinion.

Vital Remains - Divine In Fire, Forever Underground: Two from an earlier release by this death metal project that redeemed Glen Benton, albeit temporarily. While these tracks aren’t as over the top brutal as last year’s Dechristianize, they are crammed with tons of great riffs from Dave Suzuki and both maintain their intensity over a long period of time.

Void Of Silence - Human Antithesis, To A Sickly Child: Once again, Code666 comes out of relatively nowhere with a striking and highly original album sure to be at many year end lists. The music here is an apocalyptic sounding blend of intense doom with heavy industrial overtones, which work towards creating an unsettling atmosphere over these epic compositions (20 and 12 minutes respectively). And guest vocalist Alan Nemtheanga of Primordial delivers a superb performance, often coming on like he’s preaching imminent damnation. Excerpts available at official site.

White Willow - Chemical Sunset, Soulburn: After a series of delays, this Norwegian prog act’s fourth album Storm Season, on new UM partners the Laser’s Edge, comes out next month. While the folk and classic prog tendencies that were all over their previous releases are still readily apparent, especially in the latter’s long instrumental break (great vocal interplay there as well), these song also add a strong dose of heavy guitars into the mix.

Windir – Arntor Ein Windir, Kampen (The Struggle): As you all know, this Viking metal act’s leader Valfar died accidentally early last year, and both a memorial concert and album have been planned in his honor. These tracks hail from the second of the four albums he left behind. The former track, available at their official site, recounts an uprising in medieval Norway in grand fashion, heavy on both atmosphere and the slashing riffs, while the latter finds Valfar trading his piercing screams for Viking chanting for the most part, and is infectious without sacrificing too much intensity.

Woods Of Ypres - Shedding The Deadwood, The Sun Was In My Eyes pt.2: One of the best unsigned bands out there IMO. After the excellent Against The Seasons demo, leader David Gold rebuilt his entire lineup before recording their next release, Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth. The former track has an acoustic guitar sound similar to that on The Mantle, while the latter heads in a more atmospheric BM direction reminiscent of Ulver’s debut. Both songs available at official site.

Thus ends this chapter. For a good laugh (and you’ll need one if you managed to read this whole dreadfully boring thing), check out the “guess this album cover drawn in Paint” thread on the Seriously Off-Topic forum.

Thanks Demon. Just got one thing to say. The band is called Disarmonia Mundi, not Dish
loco.gif
and I think it is above average melodeth. What sets this band apart is the awesome guitar work from Federico Cagliero and Simone Palermiti. Whom in my book write better and play better than Peter and Ola from Soilwork, but Soilwork is still one of my favorite bands.

Looks like I got some other bands to be check ing out soon!!

Bear