It's concert season

The Dope

Hi.
Sep 19, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
I'm in the midst of a 2.5 week concert heaven.

It started Friday with Division, 3 Inches of Blood, and Metal Church. Then last night was Mastodon, playing with Mouth of the Architect (who played with Kayo Dot in Chicago, I believe). I ended up buying Mouth of the Architect's CD while I was there. Tonight in DC, it's Mastodon again, opening for Killswitch Engage and Slayer. Then on Saturday night it's Kayo Dot in Asheville. And on December 7, Isis plays in Richmond.

I just hope my hearing holds out that long.

Yeah, this is pretty exciting. I went pretty much all semester without any decent shows, and now in the last several weeks they seem to be popping up faster than I can keep track of.

I should also point out that the show last night was in a PIRATE-THEMED FAMILY FUN CENTER in some random hole-in-the wall in Harrisonburg, VA. They set up the stage literally between the rentable party rooms and the big plastic crawly-tunnels and ball pit.

They're pretty interesting. I'm not really sure how to classify them, though. On one hand they have this sort of traditional/power metal element, especially lyrically, but also in the music. On the other hand, they have a metalcore element to them as well. Seeing them live only further confused this. Their two vocalists were very visibly the influence over the split in their sound, as the "traditional" vocalist (who tends to sound almost King Diamond-ish at times) was wearing spiked arm plates and had long hair, while the metalcore screamer was wearing a black hoodie and close-cropped hair. The rest of the band was kind of a mixture of these elements. I think one was wearing a trucker hat. They had a lot of energy though, and it was a good set except for the fact that the sound sucked. All three bands that night were the victims of poor sound, which was a disappointment, as everything tended to sound garbled and muddy.

As my friend who saw them with me said, "it looks like there was a hardcore band and a power metal band who each lost a few members and decided to join forces."

Yeah, I could see somebody making a case for them being the "The Darkness of metal" but I tend to think it's more genuine than a joke. It's just a silly/dorky kind of genuine.

-----LYRICS---------------

Munchen, Frankfurt, Germania,
Roma, Napoli via Italia,
New York bussines America,
All around the world my familia,
Vodka, Russia, Transsibiria,
Twentyfour hours to Australia
Here and there and ewerywhere
All around the world my compania

Hir aj kom hir aj go
Hir aj muv hir aj gruv

London Paris Skandinavia,