I've been had by Paul Simon!

intet

Average Bear
Jun 5, 2002
Bearburg
Visit site
i bought Paul Simon - You're The One in concert on DVD yesterday. i only had time to watch/listen (to) the first song before i went to sleep, but i was very impressed by the quality of the sound.

i've just watched the first hour of this two hour show and at first i was extremely pleased with my purchase, but something felt off at times and i couldn't quite put my finger on it..
then it came - a short bass solo. and what the guy was playing wasn't what i was hearing?! exactly how much of the music has been edited afterwards? i can't really tell.. what's the point of a live recording if you're going change everything?

if mr. Simon was here i'd punch the midget square in the face.

he has a great voice and writes excellent songs, no doubt about it.

i have the Concert in the Park '91 CD, and i discovered after borrowing the show on VHS from a schoolmate that the bass had been dubbed over in places there too. but only on the CD.

Simon should really stop doing this.. :(

Originally posted by TrueBeliever
I think Nevermore's better. Simon and Garfunkel could never do the Sound of Silence with double bass....

A lot of people hate this song (the Nevermore version)... but I think it's pure brilliance. I also like to imagine Garfunkel rolling over in his grave every time the song is played.

Originally posted by Infinite Reach
A lot of people hate this song (the Nevermore version)... but I think it's pure brilliance. I also like to imagine Garfunkel rolling over in his grave every time the song is played.

I'm sure he would if he was dead.

Originally posted by intet

then it came - a short bass solo. and what the guy was playing wasn't what i was hearing?![/b

Was it the bass solo in "Call me Al"?
The original one was recorded backwards or some crazy shit like that, so it might be hard to reproduce live.
That's still no excuse though.
Actually there's no excuse for a bass solo full stop.

Originally posted by Stondis
Was it the bass solo in "Call me Al"?
nah, it was some other song. after i saw it i went back to Al because it has some bass parts that would stand out, but as far as i can tell it hadn't been tampered with..
Actually there's no excuse for a bass solo full stop.
a guitarist i take it? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by intet

a guitarist i take it? :rolleyes:

Ha ha, no I play bass in my band, I just prefer to crank out the riffs rather than do much high register stuff, I used to be well into my "bass maestro" thing but I dunno now... I just think it sounds "tacky" y'know - showing of your "chops" for the sake of it. Although every couple of months I have to have a good 1/2 hour of slapping to get the funk out of my system...
:D

Ha ha, no I play bass in my band, I just prefer to crank out the riffs rather than do much high register stuff, I used to be well into my "bass maestro" thing but I dunno now... I just think it sounds "tacky" y'know - showing of your "chops" for the sake of it. Although every couple of months I have to have a good 1/2 hour of slapping to get the funk out of my system...
:D
the guys Simon get are usually so good and proffesional they are well beyond that "showing off" mentality. but i do agree with most of that tacky bit.. there's a fine line, and the bar is very high.