I've just lost my respect for Iron Maiden... tsk tsk...

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
IRON MAIDEN Team With AOL! [Hot Flashes - 03.10.22 11:40:23]

Some AOL customers can't wait until next year. IRON MAIDEN chose to use AOL - an ISP with a global reach - when it was touring. AOL's service seemed a simple-to-implement, cost-effective communications choice for a band on a world tour.

"We have traveled across the world promoting our new album," explained chief technician, Johnny B. "We found AOL to be an ideal choice. We bought AirPorts in the US, and we found them incredibly useful when accessing the Net from hotel rooms or backstage at gigs." The touring party - 120 people - signed up for AOL.

On the band's return to the UK, it found its AirPort Base Stations didn't work. Calls to AOL Tech support confirmed the company does not support AirPort on Macs, as AOL offers no broadband service for Mac users here.

Lambeth told Johnny B: "We launched AOL for Mac OS X narrowband services only months ago and we have no plans for another immediate Mac release until there is reasonable demand from sufficient Mac members."

While AOL tried to help Iron Maiden resolve its problems, despite the company's lack of official support for AirPort in the UK, Lambeth stressed the level of investment required to furnish official support.

However, the investment costs cited by AOL UK as the rationale to provide no AirPort support for Mac users may be less than the company claims, Johnny B implied: The band's technical crew joined forces one weekend, and managed to make AOL's UK software work with AirPort.

It's not just software. Lambeth responded: "It is entirely at a customer's discretion to connect to an unsupported service." He stressed that furnishing such support required more than a software update.

"Once we do support something we would have to have a technical team trained and ready for those kind of enquiries - it is not something one can do halfheartedly," he said.

Asked why the company doesn't offer such support already, Lambeth said: "It actually takes significant resources to support different services - we clearly need to have trained staff available during our customer support hours, all the proper testing done on various configurations and a full understanding of all the possible wireless services someone might want to connect to and hardware to connect with. That all requires reasonable demand for each service."

A dissatisfied Johnny B asks: "I don't understand how AOL UK can charge Mac users the same subscription rate as it does PC users when it provides a lesser level of service, has limited Mac tech support facilities, and does not furnish the same level of research and development for Macs as AOL US does. Why should I pay the same subscription rate as a PC user for an inferior service?" he asked.

____
BWBK http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=8131

hahaha.... not only do they use AOL, they use Macs... how low can you go?