Mar 13, 2004
Jack Owens quits Cannibal Corpse....

"After 15 years with Cannibal Corpse, I've decided to
leave the group. My heart just wasn't in it anymore,
and it was reflected in my appearance on stage. Times
change, and I just don't enjoy the music as much as I
used to, and the only thing keeping me in the band was
steady work, and the pay. These things makes it unfair
to myself, my band members, and especially the fans.
I'd like to thank all the members of Cannibal Corpse,
past and present, for sharing in the conquest of an
entire genre of music. I wish the band continued
success...
I would especially like to thank the fans for being
there for 15 years. Without you, I wouldn't have made
it this far. Your dedication to death metal is
unbelievable.
I am going to continue in music, of course, with
Adrift. I'd like to thank them for their patience and
understanding, and support of my decision.
We will meet again, I'm sure.. "
Cheers,
Jack Owen

Thought I would pass this along....

mAsk

That's kind of a shame, but he definately did the right thing. I respect him for knowing it was better to quit rather than stay just for the money, and it was admirable of him to say that publicly.

To be honest, I saw it coming. For anyone who watched the dvd that accompanied the digipack of The Wretched Spawn, I thought it was pretty clear he wasn't really that energetic or enthusiastic about the stuff that was going on. His songwriting was also starting to lack. He DID write Nothing Left To Mutilate, which is an astounding song, but he also wrote Slain and Decency Defied, which I think are easily the two worst songs on that album, repetative, slow, and very boring, although the lyrics are great on the latter, but that's not enough to redeem the song.

I wonder who'll fill in....hopefully someone with songwriting talent anyway, I know Pat and Alex are both great songwriters, but variety usually doesn't hurt.

Ah well, not bad news per se, but interesting.

Yea it's probably best he's leaving. I remember seeing them in February and he just didn't seem to get into playing at all. While the rest of the band was going nuts he just stood there bobbing his head a little. Hopefully the new guy has great writing skills and stage presence!