Jason Leaves Ozzy.......Replaced By Blasko(Rob Zombie)..

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
JASON NEWSTED Leaves OZZY OSBOURNE, Is Replaced By ROB ZOMBIE Bassist - Dec. 4, 2003

Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted has officially left OZZY OSBOURNE and has been replaced by ex-ROB ZOMBIE bassist Rob "Blasko" Nicholson. Newsted, who was with the band for less than a year, left due to undisclosed reasons.

"It's still settling in," Nicholson told MTV.com about his new gig. "It's something I never would have imagined. After playing with Rob Zombie, I was ready to go, 'OK, this is as far as I'm taking this bass-playing thing. This is the end of the road.' I was ready to kind of hang it up.

"But when this came around, it was very odd," he added. "I was almost like, 'There is no possible way that this could happen.' "

At least one other bassist — FEAR FACTORY's Christian Olde Wolbers — jammed with Ozzy, guitarist Zakk Wylde and drummer Mike Bordin in recent weeks, but Nicholson was hired after successfully completing two auditions.

"The first audition was a little intimidating, to say the least," Nicholson said. "Granted, I know Zakk and I've been on Ozzfest before. The situation wasn't uncomfortable, it was just intimidating, playing these songs that I had never played. But the second audition, I was a lot more prepared.

" 'Into the Void' is my favorite BLACK SABBATH song and Ozzy called it out," he continued. "At that moment, I realized, even if I don't get the gig, the fact that I got to play 'Into the Void' with Ozzy was the coolest moment of my life!"

From BlabberMouth.Net

Dude, what's wrong w/ Newstead? He gives up the best gig in the entire world playing for Metallica (even though they havn't written music w/ integrity since 1989) , then joins a supreme legacy w/ Ozzy , then bails? What's the deal? Time for another Echobrain record ???????????? o_O

Jason is smart, level headed, mature, and knows whats he doing, maybe something was not right for him, and he's following his heart, & good sense......
I'm sure whatever the reason, it's best for him.......and remember, he can do whatever he wants now that he left Metallica, that made him enough cash, not to worry about anything, or quitting any band, even Ozzy........!

hiddenlegions said:
Dude, what's wrong w/ Newstead? He gives up the best gig in the entire world playing for Metallica (even though they havn't written music w/ integrity since 1989) , then joins a supreme legacy w/ Ozzy , then bails? What's the deal? Time for another Echobrain record ???????????? o_O

I used to work for a Video Production company in Concord (About 20 miles east of San Francisco for those not in the area.) and one day while we were eating lunch and Jason Newstead walked in. This was shortly after he had left metallica. He had two demo tapes from a band he was working with at the time and wanted to dub about 500 copies. A few years before, I had read that he was treated like shit by the rest of the band after he replaced Cliff Burton. I got to talk with him for a few minutes, and that was one of the things I had asked him about. I got the distinct impression that even after being with them so long he still shunned by the rest of the band. I also noticed that when they would play, and james was doing his shitty reload vocals, jason would always be on the side of the stage singing like it was Puppets. Even though he got to play with the two most popular heavy metal bands ever, his intensity during a live show really doesnt fit (sadly) metallica or ozzy anymore.

All I have to say about this post is, I don't blame Jason one bit! I was suprised he took the gig in the first place. I'm sure it's pretty sickening to watch Ozzy stumble around and shake violently all day every day...especially when he's one of the metal GODS! His wife needs to let him retire and drink himself into oblivion in the privacy of his own house....not right out in the public eye! For God's sake...let the guy go out with SOME dignity!

So what if Ozzy shakes. I heard in the news today that Ozzy's prominent doctor is being sued for handing out and over-medicating his patients. Everyone gets old....lets pray that none of us gets a disease that makes us shake. I say, if Ozzy can sing, fuck all the bullshit about his kids, wife and choices that have been made. I'm in it for the love of Ozzy's music not what his body does..............(I'm still gonna buy that book too)

From Blabbermouth.net:

JASON NEWSTED Comments On OZZY Departure - Dec. 9, 2003
Former METALLICA/current VOIVOD bassist Jason Newsted has issued the following statement regarding his recent departure from OZZY OSBOURNE's band:

"I would like to thank the Osbournes for including VOIVOD in their tours this year. I am honored to have had the privilege to share the stage with Ozzy, [guitarist] Zakk [Wylde] and [drummer] Mike [Bordin] through a very successful summer. It was a blast playing old BLACK SABBATH songs with this band!

"My agreement with the Osbournes was to play bass for the gigs that Ozzy had committed to through December 2003. I wish Ozzy the best as he continues to fly the flag for metal!

"I am excited to be back making new music with VOIVOD. The Chophouse studio is fired up and ready for the creation of the next album.

"In the meantime, keep yourself tuned in to Voivod.com and ChophouseRecords.com for all the latest.

"Keep It Heavy!

"Jason"