Jazztypemusic suggestions?

ChromeLife

askew
Oct 24, 2001
Atlanta, GA
I had a realization the when metal bands that I listen to use jazztype elements in their music, I usually dig the parts that are tame, and unmetal the most... thus, perhaps I should find some most traditional stuff to listen to. If any of you have suggestions I would be quite happy to hear them. Thanks!

for something less jam/solo oriented, try Charles Mingus "ah um" or (for something contemporary) try one Jaga Jazzist's records.

Coltrane's version of "My Favorite Things" is frickin amazing

well, i'd recommend lester young. he's awesome. or art tatum. also of course charlie parker who is like mr. avant garde.

also chet baker is one of the most amazing trumpeters ever, and he broke the color barrier for incredible jazz musicians (like, his rep is due to his talent, not to his skin).

Miles Davis was amazing in the 50's with his Quintet, on "Relaxin'", "Steamin'" and other albums with similar names. Charlie Parker, yes! And Eric Dolphy too, "Out to Lunch" or anything else from that period (~1964).

xfer said:
also chet baker is one of the most amazing trumpeters ever, and he broke the color barrier for incredible jazz musicians (like, his rep is due to his talent, not to his skin).

sorry, dude. i thought the opposite was true. as much as i am a fan of his - i even like his vocals- any real jazz fan will tell you that Chet Baker is famous precisely because of his skin and not his talent. technically he wasn't much of a trumpetist (trumpeteer?), as i understand.

my suggestions:

for west coast cool jazz try the Dave Brubeck Quartet instead.

for fusionesque metal instrumentals, try Gordian Knot. and all of you on the motw should try getting on the UM DC++ hub for all your music downloading and exploring needs (if you don't already know about it).

also, yeah:

coltrane.gif

i used to have a large-size print of this, but it's been lost. too bad.

beware- a lot of brubeck's stuff is total crap. however, all of the time experimentation records are pretty much all bad-ass. My dad gave me copies of (what I think) are all of them: time out, time in, time in outer space, etc.

I don't really know anything about jazz, but I do like the Alex Skolnick Trio. Skolnick used to be the guitarist for Testament, but now he does jazz covers of rock songs like Sabbath's "War Pigs" and Aerosmith's "Dream On". It's pretty interesting stuff.

I listened to that Zorn fellow... Holy crap. That dude must be like.. the deathmetal of jazz... The disc had a bloody body on the back.. sort of wrapped up like a mummy.. with crabs comming out of his mouth and such.. AN AQUATIC BURIAL. Very cool stuff.