Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
One of the original MTV VJ's died.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

J.J. Jackson, Early MTV Video Jockey, Is Dead at 62
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: March 22, 2004

J. J. Jackson, one of the five original MTV video jockeys and an influential black broadcaster on rock radio and on television, died Wednesday in Los Angeles. He was 62.

Mr. Jackson apparently suffered a heart attack, friends told The Associated Press.

He started in radio in the late 1960's at WBCN in Boston and KLOS in Los Angeles, both major rock stations.

He also worked as a music reporter at KABC-TV in Los Angeles.

After being hired by MTV in New York, he and the other four original V.J.'s — Martha Quinn, Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman and Nina Blackwood — quickly became stars in their own right after the network began to broadcast: at 12:01 a.m. on Aug. 1, 1981, with "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles. The V.J.'s became celebrities almost overnight.

"Within a month of going on the air in Manhattan, I had to move," he said in the book "MTV Uncensored," edited by Jacob Hoye.

Mr. Jackson covered Live Aid in London for MTV in 1985 and helped inaugurate its "120 Minutes" series. He remained at MTV until 1986.

Mr. Jackson, whose given name was John, then returned to Los Angeles radio. He worked at KTWV until about six months ago and had hoped to rejoin Mr. Goodman on another new musical frontier, Sirius Satellite Radio.

Mr. Goodman told The Associated Press that Mr. Jackson is survived by a daughter and two grandchildren in the Bahamas.

That is ashamed. While the early MTV didn't have any metal videos, they were music television and they played music videos. MTV rarely does that anymore. Those early DJs and the early management had some cool shit going. Now MTV is a bunch of shit.

Bryant

That really sucks. Sad to see him go. Back when i was still listening to 95.5 KLOS in LA(they've since gone downhill), JJ Jackson was one of many past hosts of their weekly show on Sundays, called "The 7th Day", where they would play at least 4 four albums back to back,in their entirety, and he was always my favorite. He had a delivery and a way with words, not to mention a VAST knowlege of music that i wish i had. And i remember just listening to him, admiring his mic skills and personality, thinking "DAMN, he's good!"
Being a young man trying to get his foot in the radio business, i will always cite him as an inspiration. Rest In Peace, brother.