JOHN 5 Says His Next Solo Album Will Feature 'A Bunch Of Guest Stars'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
ROB ZOMBIE and ex-MARILYN MANSON guitarist John 5 (real name: John William Lowery) recently spoke to Artisan News (see video report below) about his forthcoming solo album, an all-star affair which is tentatively due in 2014. "Rob Zombie is obviously my priority, and everything I do is just when he's doing a movie or something like that," he said. "And you know, I never play live with anyone else, I never tour, 'cause I never wanna confuse anyone. I'm just a writer. So as soon as they see a credit — 'Oh, John 5 wrote on this Ricky Martin song,' or whatever like that — then that will… So it doesn't really get in the way. But I love doing my instrumental records and people really enjoy 'em, so I'm always working on those. I'm working on one right now. I've got Elton John's bass player doing stuff. I mean, I have a bunch of guest stars on this one, so it's gonna be really good."Regarding how his upcoming album will be different from his last effort, 2012's "God Told Me To", John 5 said: "The last one was half acoustic, half electric and I always like to change it up, so this one, I'm just gonna have a bunch of guest stars. So I'm gonna start asking my friends for favors and all this stuff. 'Hey, come on in. I watched your house and I let your dog out that one time, so come play on my record.' So I'm gonna start my long list of people to come and play. I think it's fun."He continued: "These albums are a lot of fun. I just do 'em for the love of guitar and to inspire a couple of people on the way… I just really enjoy doing that. It's great. It was one of the smartest things I've ever done. Right when I left MANSON, I was, like, 'OK, so I guess I'll finally make my instrumental record.' And it did really well, and I'm on my sixth one. And I don't do them for money or anything — I just do them for the love of the guitar — and I think the audience really can see that. I'll do something like a Chet Atkins song and then some crazy death metal-type song. So it's a very wide range of music; there's no format and there's no rules."

More...