1. Relentless

2. Cheyenne

Label: Metal Blade Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.metalblade.com/bands/john_arch/
GRADE:
9/10

It's been over fifteen years since Awaken the Guardian, the classic FATES WARNING release which was to be John Arch's last with the band and his exit from the world of metal, until now. A Twist Of Fate sees Arch teaming up with his old bandmate, FATES guitarist Jim Matheos as well as bassist Joey Vera (FATES/ENGINE/ARMORED SAINT) and DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy. Together they have created a killer EP that clocks in just under 30 minutes. Initial reaction is, geez, why couldn't they have taken just a little more time and come up with a full fucking album?

Sounding like what modern FATES/THEATER would sound like with Arch behind the mic, these two songs serve as wonderful reminders as to why some of us fell in love with him in the first place. His unique voice, both original and borrowing from Dickinson at the same time, is in top form here, which is amazing considering the man has not stepped in front of a mic more than a handful of times since 1986. The songwriting is strong as well, proving that the team of Matheos and Arch still have plenty of tricks up their sleeves. This is especially important as these two are responsible for some of FATES' most classic metal moments and this hopefully should silence the doubters, at least for the time being.

Of the two songs, "Relentless" is my favorite. In the space of 12 minutes and 23 seconds, these four musicians create a cacophony of sounds and moods, resulting in one of the most emotionally charged performances I have had the pleasure of hearing all year. What I would do to hear Arch and Ray Alder collaborate vocally on a song or two... and how about witnessing the rhythymic powerhouse foundation of Vera and Portnoy in a live setting? Jesus, absolutely breathtaking! Everytime I listen to this song, I listen for new bits to hear that I didn't catch last time, and I haven't even made it to headphones yet! Matheos is in absolute top form, sounding more hungry than he has in years. Leave it to Portnoy to pull it out of him! I'm anxiously awaiting a new FATES WARNING cd now...

"Cheyenne" was written by Arch with a few small augments by Matheos and clocks in at 15 minutes and 36 seconds. Acoustic, then bombastic, this one really highlights Arch's vocal capabilities, as he multitracks his voice to create some really interesting melodies. There's an interesting story to go with the song as well, but if you want to know more, you'll have to check it out for yourself!

For any fan of FATES WARNING's entire catalog, A Twist Of Fate will sit nicely with the rest of your collection. Welcome back, John. It's been too damn long. These two songs though, demonstrate it was well worth the wait. Here's to 20 more!!

PJ

Papa Josh said:
Listening to "Relentless" right now.... man, this song still blows me away.

I hope he does something else and this isn't just a one off.

My big dream is a re-union of the original Fates Warning line-up, before the curtains fall for the band. It's a real pity that John Arch, a singer with such a unique voice, didn't make the career he deserved in music. I hope that we will have the chance to watch him in a live perfomance, along with Jim, Victor, Steve and Joe, but... But I feel that my big dream will stay unfulfilled...

Yeah, I think you're right on that one.... they all kinda laugh about drummer Steve Zimmerman these days. I remember reading that Mark Zonder used to hate trying to learn his drum patterns, because they weren't really patterns. :lol:

And we all know how Matheos feels about anything prior to Perfect Symmetry, hell even that album he neglects, make that Parallels....