Johnny Cash

WarHead

Handful of Nothing
Aug 27, 2001
Virginia
Wide awake from insomnia I was taking a break from practicing my guitar and turned on VH1..... and there was Johnny Cash.....covering a Nine Inch Nail song called Hurt........really depressing.......just wanted to know what you all thought about it......

I liked it.....but then again......i cant sleep....

I cant sense sarcasm through the internet....but....Im listening to the original version.....Johnny's is brighter....but has a heavier emotional effect.... Trents is gloomy....and I think some notes are flat or something....dunno....I'll look into more....

dude, that thing is amazing .. gives me chills everytime I see the video/hear the song

in fact, I recommend the whole album, quite incredible

I heard he has some ailments that are wearing him down? His closeness to death is what makes it so intense, its all from the heart.

Weird...someone just posted a very similar message on the Iced Earth board. I guess they were also channel-surfing at 2 AM...not that weird, but it's strange when you consider that two people who post on message boards I visit saw the same thing. Makes you think about your place in the universe.

Uh, yeah. Johnny Cash rules.

If you think Hurt was amazing, you should take a listen to his rendition of Nick Cave's Mercy Seat. It gave me chills. He is the original Man in Black.

He's got Parkinson's Disease, a degenerative neurological disorder. I was actually going to go see his tour in '97 when he was diagnosed and had to cancel most of the dates.

saw it on beavis and butthead......AWESOME SONG:) ESP. THE PART SO I TOOK OUT MY SHOTGUN NOW DELIA'S GONE........(BUTTHEAD THEN SAYS) "WAOH- JESUS STOP THE VIOLENCE-- ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:lol:....priceless.....i saw the video for hurt...looks cool esp. all the old footage reminds me of a younger buzz seeing it on t.v. wayyyyyyyyyyy back when

Originally posted by Lillitu
If you think Hurt was amazing, you should take a listen to his rendition of Nick Cave's Mercy Seat. It gave me chills. He is the original Man in Black.

Fuck me dead! Johny Cash's version of Mercy Seat rocks! It canes nine colours of shit out of the original Nick Cave version (although the original version rocks as well). It has far, far, far more pathos in it than the Nick Cave one. You can actually believe that whilst singing the song, Johny is an innocent man on Deathrow, just waiting to die and be released from this world of flesh.

All of Johny Cash's covers rock hard :headbang:
He did an entire covers album once (but I's don't remember it's name, any help?) and it caned so, so much.
Also, check out his cover of Soundgarden's Rust Cage for a cool bit of C & W rock 'n' roll :headbang:
And I's think he did a cover of Alice In Chain's Rooster, but I's not sure about that.
Peace
The Pimp NeonBlack

i should also point out that mr. cash's last two albums were produced by none other than rick rubin.