Jon Bashes BURNT OFFERINGS, Yet Iced Earth Fans Love It...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
...and most non-Iced Earth fans respect it and refer to it as Iced Earth's best.

I know Jon recorded this during dark times, and alot of the musicians couldn't deliver (in his opinion...I thought Randy's guitars and Matt's vocals are awesome), but really! What does he hear that we don't?

I think it ranks with Iced Earth's masterpiece, NIGHT OF THE STORMRIDER...it's Iced Earth taking a more aggressive, angry sound and it still stands up. And even a nun could appreciate the brilliance of "Dante's Inferno!" L O L ! ! ! :lol:

He simply says it's his least favorite. He also states in many interviews that he doesn't regret any of his work and it all has a reason for being what it is.

Yeah, I remember that. But it's still a little bothersome that he refers to perhaps the definitive Iced Earth album as his least favourite. Then again, he does have a vision of what Iced Earth should be, and it's still exciting to see it unfold...

I think it also has to do with the fact that though it did sell better in the states than IE or stormrider, it did worse elsewhere... i think it's their weakest sellign album everywhere else in the world... i remember hearing something like that anyway.

BO is their best album, but then again many bands who release their greatest albbum, don't like it for some reason or the other and unfortunately results in a lack of that material in their live sets.

He just has different musical taste than the rest of us...digs the more positive stuff, like European audiences. Also, the recording of that album was really fucked up; they had to use every engineering trick in the book on the drums, and Matt's vocals were recorded dozens of times before he got it right. It still sounds great, of course...Jon has said he wants to re-record it and "do it right" some day; I'd dig that.

I think it would be cooler if thye just did a new CD instead of realeasing/recording old stuff, It's far more intresting to see where they are going than to go over where they have been :)

(In my opnion) (Maybe)

Cthulhu From Beyond

Two years ago when I got into IE I thought it was great! I totally loved Offerings. I didn't get why he felt the way he does about it. But now I understand where he is coming from. I've started to appreciate and listen for excellent production work. Something an untrained ear wouldn't really notice. It is kind of a curse really. But I can hear the not quite perfect guitar parts, and the straining sound in Matt's voice. I can also hear a kinda fuzzy sound with all the instruments. Some people like their metal fuzzy. I'm not really into it though.

Not to mention that things which remind you of a terrible time in your life are usually not something you like. So it is totally understandable for him to dislike BO.

I think Lyrically, and melodically it is the best thing he has done. In execution of his ideas however, and in production it is one of the poorest efforts. Just my opinion.

That's a good way of putting it.

I mean, if you hear those guys play "Dante's Inferno" live, it doesn't really get any better than that. The songs are about as good as metal gets...

But I really don't mind bad production. And BURNT OFFERINGS wasn't top notch, but there are some Megadeth and Venom CD's that are much worse.

by all means it is not my favourite IE album really "i do like them all tho" but i guess once in a while when you sit and listen to what you done and you think about other things that should/would have been done for it , it makes you dislike it more and more ... a combenation of things i guess ..

alot of bands go through this once in a while ... like really who doesn't .. it's natural ...

but comparing it to there other works you can tell that there could have been alot more done for it , even vocaly ....
it takes a long time for a song to be warn through in time , so you gotta give it time ... otherwise you will be sitting slaping yourself for not doing things ...

there covers rule ... i love the HorroShow and Live in Athens covers ....