Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord retires after 30 odd years with the band:

March 15
Roger Glover speaks out

The Russian Deep Purple Pages reports:
"I should inform you that Jon has told us he plans to retire from active participation in Deep Purple. We wish him the best. The moment cannot pass without a personal comment. It is sad that Jon has come to this difficult decision but every one of us respects his right to determine his own life. I have learned so much from him that I could not possibly do him justice by attempting to quantify it. Don Airey will be our keyboard player from now on and we welcome him to the band. - Roger Glover"
See the new promophoto of the new lineup (thanks to Thames Talent).
Thanks to the Russian Deep Purple Pages and Andrey Gusenkov for the information

This is very sad for me. Deep Purple were my favorite band for many years, and are still one of my favorites. Jon Lord is/was a hero to me, and carried alot of the Deep Purple spirit :cry:

Deep Purple without Jon lord .....i never thought it would happen but i guess age catches up with everone eventually

I'm glad i got to see him (and Deep Purple) play 5 times!(1984,1999 twice and 2001 twice).Last year in Wollongong i was two rows from the front directly in front of Jon Lord!(also Jimmy Barnes got up and sang with DP this night)

of course if DP come back i will still go and see them play :D

Sad news indeed :cry:

Jon was one of the originals who fought to keep the band going through several different lineups after Mark II's original breakup. He also had a unique sound that no-one else could match.

Bon voyage, Jon. DP won't be the same without you...

W