JOSH HOMME On THEM CROOKED VULTURES: 'We All Want To Do Another Record'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Josh Homme says that he is open to making new music with THEM CROOKED VULTURES. The supergroup he formed more than a decade ago with LED ZEPPELIN's John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS) released its first and only album to date in 2009 and toured extensively behind the LP, but hasn't performed live since November 2010. In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Homme stated about THEM CROOKED VULTURES' inactivity: "The ironic thing is that we all want to do another VULTURES record and I think everyone has certain roles they play in the VULTURES, and in all honesty, I feel like part of Dave's role — since he got it together the first time by saying, 'Hey, do you wanna try this?' — I feel like that's part of in his job description in VULTURES. I have my various things that I'm supposed to do I think, but that isn't one of them. But I'm always ready to be in THEM CROOKED VULTURES again. I don't chase, you know?" He added: "I think, ultimately, these things happen when they're supposed to, and I don't have much experience in forcing things to happen like that. When you're playing music, people come together because they want to and not from a sense of need or desperation. I think that's the best reason to come together." Homme's comments come three months after Grohl told The Guardian that THEM CROOKED VULTURES is "technically still a band. We practice once every decade, and we're coming up on another decade, aren't we?" he said. "I don't have any official news but there's always something cooking." In a 2017 interview with Beats 1, Grohl said that he and his THEM CROOKED VULTURES bandmates have talked about a possible reunion. "Every once in a while, you'll be up at night drinking a bottle of wine by yourself, and you'll watch some CROOKED VULTURES live thing on YouTube and go, 'We were so good!,' and then we'll text each other saying, 'Miss you, man!'," he said. "Them Crooked Vultures" peaked at No. 12 on the Billboard chart, and failed to achieve gold or platinum certification. "We all want to do another record," Homme said after the LP's release. "I don't know when that would be or if it's even gonna happen. ... I know the next record would be, like, 'sophomore jinx, my ass,' 'cause we know one another now. We were actually just hitting our stride in the studio when we knew we should stop. That was one of the main struggles. 'Dude, we're just getting going.' But we knew we shouldn't take too long. This stuff, if you're not careful, turns to vapor. We gotta live in the now." Four years after THEM CROOKED VULTURES' last concert, Grohl told NME that he "would love to make another VULTURES record. I think our biggest hurdle is just a logistic one, that the three of us are all pretty busy," he said.

Continue reading...