Judas Priest announce first studio album since 2008 - Redeemer of Souls

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
09633c21-0d7f-4f7a-bbe9-398511a0c3cf-460x460.jpeg

Judas Priest's 17th studio album - Redeemer of Souls - will be released on Columbia in the UK and Epic in the US on 14 July 2014 and will be the first to feature Richie Faulkner on guitars.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/28/judas-priest-announce-first-studio-album-since-2008

I'm SO excited!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Wait - I thought these guys weren't going to make another album? Didn't they say they were retiring like 3 or 4 years ago? o_o

Even as a big Priest fan I'm not impressed with the new song. Trying too hard to sound like a song from Painkiller. It's like listening to an inferior version of Hell Patrol. I hope the rest of the album offers much more.

I think there does come a point, particularly with metal where you do wonder why these guys carry on. All this confusion around farewell tours/final albums/long goodbyes....etc doesn't really help.

Loved JP up to an including PainKiller but not really got into anything since then that they have produced.

Here's a quick recap Steve:

Jugulator - first with Ripper Owens, heavier grungey guitar sound which really wasn't Priest.

Demolition - second with Ripper, nu metal influenced and just god-awful.

Angel of Retribution - Halford back in command, glorious return to classic Priest form with instant classics

Nostradamus - 2CD concept album which is experimental but very metal and very epic (my hands down favourite album of 2008).

I've only heard the title track myself, but I thought it was good. Personally, I don't expect Priest to make an album that will blow me away at this point in the game. I'm just happy if they keep making good music.

That said, Dom, I have to agree with your assessment of the post-Painkiller albums for the most part, but I actually loved "Jugulator." It was Priest at their absolute heaviest, and I think it's the kind of album that Pantera fans should hear when they say that the old school bands are too wimpy. "Demolition" was definitely a let-down, but "Angel Of Retribution" totally made up for that (with the exception of "Revolution.") "Nostradamus" gets way more flack than it deserves, as I think it shows that Priest can hang with the more contemporary power metal bands.

Steve, I don't know if you would dig the Ripper-era albums, but I would definitely give the last two albums a shot if you haven't already. The older of the two certainly sounds like classic Priest, and the latter one really shows them branching out in a good way.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I've given it a couple of listens so far and I'm not impressed. People are talking about how it compares to the classic albums of the 70's, 80's and 90's but never mind that, in comparison to 'Angel of Retribution', this is still a disappointing record.

To me 'Angel of Retribution' was what I'd describe as a good album but not great. Definitely not at the quality of 'Painkiller', 'Screaming for Vengeance', 'Defenders of the Faith' etc but good enough to show the band still had plenty to offer and that getting Halford back and making more Music was worth it.

On that basis, the new album doesn't deliver. Many have criticised the sound production of it but I actually think it sounds good, it's the songs themselves that are lacklustre. Nothing really stands out, nothing really gets you thinking "this would be good to hear live" or anything like that and some songs are just boring. The album just gives you absolutely no immediate reason to listen to it over most of their other records, other than repeated listens in the hope that something about the album will grab you.

I've not heard this yet but there again the last Priest record I bought was Jugulator, which I don't think has seen the light of day for a good decade now.

It's a real bugbear of mine that bands I really loved and looked up to when I was younger keep hanging around and putting out albums every few years of dubious quality. I'll stick with Painkiller and Turbo me thinks ;-)

I've given it a couple of listens so far and I'm not impressed. People are talking about how it compares to the classic albums of the 70's, 80's and 90's but never mind that, in comparison to 'Angel of Retribution', this is still a disappointing record.

To me 'Angel of Retribution' was what I'd describe as a good album but not great. Definitely not at the quality of 'Painkiller', 'Screaming for Vengeance', 'Defenders of the Faith' etc but good enough to show the band still had plenty to offer and that getting Halford back and making more Music was worth it.

On that basis, the new album doesn't deliver. Many have criticised the sound production of it but I actually think it sounds good, it's the songs themselves that are lacklustre. Nothing really stands out, nothing really gets you thinking "this would be good to hear live" or anything like that and some songs are just boring. The album just gives you absolutely no immediate reason to listen to it over most of their other records, other than repeated listens in the hope that something about the album will grab you.

After many spins myself, this is pretty much all I've been able to conclude too. I'm pleased that some of the negative reaction didn't actually seem to materialise quite so much while listening. There's plenty to enjoy here, it's just not life-changing. Decent Priest but not classic Priest.