JUDAS PRIEST's GLENN TIPTON On PANTERA: 'They Wrote Some Great Songs' And 'They Were

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Jay Nanda of AXS.com conducted an interview with JUDAS PRIEST guitarists Glenn Tipton and Richie Faulkner before the band's November 7 performance at the ninth annual Fun Fun Fun Fest (FFF Fest) at Auditorium Shores in Austin, Texas. You can now listen to the chat using the SoundCloud widget below.Asked to share some of his memories of late PANTERA guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and his influence on the metal world, Tipton said: "PANTERA supported us — didn't they? — on a European tour [in the early 1990s]. And they were a very innovative band, a great band, a great bunch of guys. It was just an absolute tragedy that someone would [murder Dimebag while he was performing with DAMAGEPLAN]. It's just terrible — a complete tragedy. And I've got a lot of respect for PANTERA. Everything they did, I think, was… They were a band that was immediately recognizable, they wrote some great songs, they were innovative and they were great guys."Added Richie: "I never met Dime. I met his brother [former PANTERA drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott] last night for the first time. He came to the show and we had a blast. So it was just great to meet his brother. It's a shame I couldn't meet Dime. And the influence of the guy speaks volumes. And that goes for these guys [the other members of JUDAS PRIEST] too; the music lives on longer than we do. Some of it's cut off shorter than it should be, but at the end of the day, the legacy is in the music. So long may that continue."JUDAS PRIEST's 17th studio album, "Redeemer Of Souls", sold around 32,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 6 on The Billboard 200 chart.Interview:
Performance:

judaspriestredeembertourposter2014_638.jpg

More...