Just been offered a trade what you guys think?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, a guy wants to trade my dimarzio evolution neck pickup for a dod yngwie malmsteen distortion pedal. Anyone know if the pedal's any good?

Eeek! Edit: just seen- these things are going for $30 brand new- i guess they might not be LOL! not gonna be a replacement for a tube screamer then :p

The YJM is based on the DOD 250, which was a very early distortion preamp and is still in use all over the place. It'll be a good *boost* but won't give the bass cut. You can also build them for about ten bucks if you have any basic soldering knowledge. I've found that it makes solos more 'liquid' but for rhythm it won't be the best buy you'll make (unless you already have everything else on the amp at 11 and still need more). As for trading, unless you hate the EVO or it's torn in half, don't do it. I personally don't like the EVO sound (but then again I don't like the way most pickups sound in Ibanez bodies, the only place I've played EVOs), but even if I were looking to get rid of one I'd find a better price selling it on EBay or the classifieds.

Jeff

JBroll said:
The YJM is based on the DOD 250, which was a very early distortion preamp and is still in use all over the place. It'll be a good *boost* but won't give the bass cut. You can also build them for about ten bucks if you have any basic soldering knowledge. I've found that it makes solos more 'liquid' but for rhythm it won't be the best buy you'll make (unless you already have everything else on the amp at 11 and still need more). As for trading, unless you hate the EVO or it's torn in half, don't do it. I personally don't like the EVO sound (but then again I don't like the way most pickups sound in Ibanez bodies, the only place I've played EVOs), but even if I were looking to get rid of one I'd find a better price selling it on EBay or the classifieds.

Jeff

Ok thanks bud. The evo is brand new too lol

Man, I would keep the EVO. I wouldn't be interested in an overdrive pedal based on a man's idea, who uses a single coil to play riffs?! I hate the sound of a single coil, Fender strat playing a power cord! I haven't tried anything other than a dimebucker in the bridge since I got it. That fuckin' thing is an out of control mother fucker! Since I put an evo in the neck, it's stayin there. Any pickup that wil give you a squeal at half volume, in the neck is good enough for me!:kickass:

Gnash, Yngwie has single-coil size humbuckers in his strat - Dimarzio HS3 in the bridge, YJM signatures in the middle and neck. He has a pretty thick sound, and if you hear him live it's incredible for one guitarist to be getting that kind of sound on his own, single or humbucker. His lead tone slays, too - I'm hard pressed to find too many other people who have gotten such a liquid solo tone out of older gear like that.

That said, if you're using humbuckers I wouldn't go for a YJM pedal just because it's an OD250 optimized for his pickups, his amps, and playing style; I'd still get a 250 however just because they work so well for leads.

And while I can't say I care much for Vai's tone, I have no choice but to say that he designed a very versatile pickup, and that's not an easy thing to do - if I didn't love my Super Distortion to death I might give one a try.

Jeff

JBroll said:
Gnash, Yngwie has single-coil size humbuckers in his strat - Dimarzio HS3 in the bridge, YJM signatures in the middle and neck. He has a pretty thick sound, and if you hear him live it's incredible for one guitarist to be getting that kind of sound on his own, single or humbucker. His lead tone slays, too - I'm hard pressed to find too many other people who have gotten such a liquid solo tone out of older gear like that.

That said, if you're using humbuckers I wouldn't go for a YJM pedal just because it's an OD250 optimized for his pickups, his amps, and playing style; I'd still get a 250 however just because they work so well for leads.

And while I can't say I care much for Vai's tone, I have no choice but to say that he designed a very versatile pickup, and that's not an easy thing to do - if I didn't love my Super Distortion to death I might give one a try.

Jeff

I just put one in tonight actually dude! Pretty reactive pickup... at the moment its on a par with my seymour duncan JB, but i might prefer the jb more, i'll let you know next week haha :cool:

I like the JB in thicker bodies (like my Schecter's mahogany slab) because it never gets muddy and the thicker bodies will already have more mids, and I like the Super Distortion in brighter or thinner bodies where it'll add good midrange and bass content and the guitar's already bright enough. Also, since the SD is really just a PAF with twice the power, it's still usable for a jazzy clean sound, whereas the JB needs either tons of mids and cut treble for that same kind of clean or a more scooped, modern rock clean sound.

My personal tastes are more along the lines of a really thick and powerful guitar sound - more like Carcass or Arch Enemy than the scooped Metallica type sound - so this is basically what I'm reporting as success. The Schecter is pretty much the perfect guitar for me just because of its size and the woods used - I like hitting a solid chunk of wood and playing a bigger neck, I can't stand the ultra-skinny necks like the Wizard or thin, shaved and profiled Strat-Lite bodies so if you're an Ibanez devotee take what I say with a grain of salt.

Jeff