k lads, need your ears...(pick an amp)

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
just finished the re(booze)amping session for this band I'm working on atm, after some days of listening over and over again to the files we were able to narrow it down to 2 different amps (for the main tone, 2 rh-guits). both of the remaining amps have their qualities (so had the others) and we're unsure wich amp might suit the style/music better or just has the better overall tone.

I actually dig both of the remaining amps but we can only go with one......which amp would you pick and why?

bear in mind that these files are not even roughmixes, so I don't care for your opinion about the drums, mix, vox...(at least not yet ;) ), it's only about the rhythm guitars

Ruff-a

Ruff-b

(no EQ or postprocessing whatsoever on the gats (cept some HP/LP)

Man thats tough honestly. I thought i liked A but now that I'm listening again there are things about B I like also. My first choice was A though....

Riff A sounds somewhat beefier in the low mids, I like that a bit more. My guess would be that B is a 5150 and A is something Mesa or Krank but I could of course be wrong..

If I were at the helm I'd choose ruff B, but there's nothing wrong with A.

B has a bit more clarity and definition. To be honest B just sounds like the bridge pickup selected and A sounds the neck pickup selected.

Yeah Lasse. B seems like it would be easier to mix for me. It has more clarity and snarl I think. Lessens the chances of it trying to get mushy on you later.

I know that these are rough mixes, so I'm not expecting them to be perfect - but let me just suggest that if you don't have some kind of pitch correction software (whether it be Melodyne, Autotune, etc.), well, maybe now is the time to invest in it for this singer ;) That said, the drums already sounds fantastic, so I can't wait to hear the finished product!

As for tones, definitely B - it's got a bit more saturated fizz that give 'em the extra boost in presence; A sounds too muffled & flubby comparatively. That said, I feel both are a bid muddy, and could do with some taming in the low mids, but as you say, that'll come in the mixing stage.

I prefer B. A is darker, but I like the less muddy and clearer tone of B. Also easier to mix.

Note: Perhaps A sounds muddy only IN COMPARISON, not sure

First thing I've listened to this morning and I like A more.
B is too scooped and a little fizzy. A only needs some low mids to be controlled.

Id go with A.... Has more beef (but no woofy mud) to it just needs a lil more clarity and air with some EQ to fit in the mix a lil better... B has a weird fizz to it and seems a little too thin with the airyness...

thanks for your help and opinions....
I think it really depends on what you've been listening to before checking these files...whenever I listened to Nevermore DHIADW I chose B and after KSE EOHA I preferred A...
we'll go with A now, I like the thick "juicyness" it has.

A was the 5150 and B the Recto

Oh, I would have preferd B, because it is a bit less "rumpy" (listen to the short "mosh" part with the palm mutes), but both sound great.

A sounds a bit "woolly". B makes the band sound more like Godsmack, and that sounds like what they are going for.