KAMELOT Frontman Comments On Stockholm Truck Attack: 'It Is Sickening And It Makes My Gut...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
KAMELOT frontman Tommy Karevik has commented on the April 7 truck attack in Sweden which left four people dead and injured 15 more. The victims were killed when a 39-year-old man rejected asylum seeker from Uzbekistan drove a stolen beer truck through a crowd in a pedestrian shopping street in downtown Stockholm. Rakhmat Akilov, who has been in custody since the attack, admitted responsibility for a "terrorist crime" at a custody hearing on Tuesday morning. Karevik, a Swedish citizen who works as a firefighter when he is not busy touring and recording with KAMELOT, has posted the following message on his Facebook page: "Stockholm... Sweden.... a place I have called home for 35 years and a place where I always felt safe. My haven, if you will. "Last Friday, terror hit the heart of the city and took with it the lives of four innocent people, among those an 11-year-old girl. It is sickening and it makes my gut turn inside out. My thoughts go out to everyone affected. "My mother was walking on the actual street, only a few hundred meters away when it happened, and for the first time in forever I felt unsafe and very vulnerable. It just felt very real and close. But... What I have witnessed over the last couple of days since Friday is nothing short of amazing. People stepping up to help each other, going out of their own way to do something for someone else, showing each other endless love and support. Coming together. And all this by a people and a country that is often viewed upon as being very private and reserved. "It warms my heart to see that even the most evil act of chaos and turmoil can have byproducts such as love and compassion. Go, humanity! "In times like these, I want to express my gratitude to all of my family, the ones that I love and care about and to all of you who sent me messages to make sure we were all OK. It is truly great to have that support and I wish that for all of you people out there. Stay safe." KAMELOT's latest album, "Haven", was released in May 2015 via Napalm Records as part of an exclusive licensing deal through the band's Kamelot Music LLC.

Continue reading...