Karnivool - Sound Awake

Sounds pretty good. Original it is indeed, so far I like what I heard. The vocalist annoys me though, he sounds always the same to my ears. I'll check them out more seriously.

I like it. I dont get how Ken figures thats cookie cutter prog. To me it sounds like farther reaching current pop rock. I agree they are at times creative, some of the stuff they flow into is pretty slick

It's a lot more mature and progressive then themata- i really prefer it- but i prefered the first 5 tracks off themata to the rest of themata if that's any indication. Most of the songs are over 5 minutes long, there is a lot more variation in texture and timbre throughout the new album which just makes it a lot more of an interesting listening experience

I gave the album a serious listen, and I have to say I'm impressed. Although some of the songs don't do much for me, there are 2 or 3 that are just sick; and the rest is pretty good. The song Goliath alone is worth this album's price. So I'll add this one to my collection. I'm not sure about their older stuff though.

It's a lot more mature and progressive then themata- i really prefer it- but i prefered the first 5 tracks off themata to the rest of themata if that's any indication. Most of the songs are over 5 minutes long, there is a lot more variation in texture and timbre throughout the new album which just makes it a lot more of an interesting listening experience

Good news...

Thanks for the info... Has it been released in the US yet?

i don't think they currently have a label in the US so you could be waiting a while- i love the album and want to buy the CD but i want a physical copy and at the moment the only way it looks like i can get that is an import from australia!

:(

Themata kicks the shit out of sound awake

im seeing them on saturday night. I hope they play at least 50:50 with material

Sound awake is a much more mature album, but it lacks balls, which is the opposite to themata. Themata was creative and smart whilst being fun, whereas sound awake seems like music for musicians. Trying to be odd for the sake of it, not to add to the song.

Its not bad, but it was a dissapointment for me.

they've just gone for a more flowing song writing approach- instead of verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure- but i think they've pulled it off brilliantly- i think it might alienate some listeners in the sense that they can't easily identify where the chorus is (if there is one)

i've always thought of a verse chorus structure being quite odd, and so an album where the song structures flow like this seems quite natural to me

*shrug*

Well they put on a great show, and it was definately a good night. The crowd seemed to dig the older stuff a bit more than the newer stuff, but i think with time it will grow on everyone.