Kataklysm - Prevail

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Have been listening to this album for the past two days since receiving a promo copy from Nuclear Blast.

I know lots of people in the forum are afraid of Death Metal bands :lol: but I figured I'd open a thread about this band, and this particular album. It comes out on May 27th, and so far it's a top 3 of 2008. This album kicks ass from beginning to end. Pure destruction!

Anybody else check it out yet?

I enjoy Kataklysm, but they seem like the type of band always destined for mediocrity. A friend of mine said it best when we were talking about that Chimaira/Kataklysm tour a few months ago, and Kataklysm was the only band either of us liked: "Who goes to a show just to see Kataklysm?" They make some good tunes but I don't see them getting too far, which is unfortunate. I haven't given this album a spin yet, need to get on that soon.

I enjoy Kataklysm, but they seem like the type of band always destined for mediocrity. A friend of mine said it best when we were talking about that Chimaira/Kataklysm tour a few months ago, and Kataklysm was the only band either of us liked: "Who goes to a show just to see Kataklysm?" They make some good tunes but I don't see them getting too far, which is unfortunate. I haven't given this album a spin yet, need to get on that soon.

I'm going to the Summer Slaughter Tour (I think that's what it's called) ONLY to see Kataklysm, so I guess you're kinda wrong. Their fanbase seems to have grown exponentially in the past couple of tours. I have a feeling they will grow more so with this new album.

There's vader on that tour and ur going for Kataklysm? :erk: they are good live though i guess, i just find their material incredibly boring

Kataklysm put on a great show when they opened for Dimmu. I loved them. Good songs and awesome stage presence.

I'm going to the Summer Slaughter Tour (I think that's what it's called) ONLY to see Kataklysm, so I guess you're kinda wrong. Their fanbase seems to have grown exponentially in the past couple of tours. I have a feeling they will grow more so with this new album.

I'd love to be proven wrong.
But seriously, you're going ONLY for Kataklysm? I like them but not nearly as much as Psycroptic, Vader, or Aborted.

There's vader on that tour and ur going for Kataklysm? :erk: they are good live though i guess, i just find their material incredibly boring

I was actually really looking forward them live until I saw them at the first BW/BK fest and was bored to tears. I wasn't a real fan of their studio output at the time either ("Shadows & Dust" was just ok), but a friend of mine convinced me to get psyched for the live show and it was one of the least memorable performances of a really cool festival. I then saw Kataklysm on a few subsequent tours in Philly and it solidified that opinion for me.

Jason

Yes, you got it right. And there's nothing wrong about that.

If Kataklysm weren't on the bill, I wouldn't go. But since they are, I might try to catch part of Vader's set. I hear they're good live.

I'm not sure there's much room for originality within the genre. However, Kataklysm manages on inject more melody and groove than anyone, this side of AA.

It's not so much the originality factor for me as it is the songs just failing to grab my attention. I can definitely handle generic styles if the songwriting is solid, but I fail to find anything memorable about these guys. To each their own of course.

If you're talking death metal album of the year, be sure to check out the new Origin. :OMG:

But anyway, yeah, I've never liked Kataklysm live either.