Katatonia, Isis, and Porcupine Tree

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
What's up with all the Opeth fans who also like these bands? Well, most of them anyway. I personally can't stand anything Kanatonia has done other than BMD. Isis...are ok. And Porcupine Tree...not a fan. Not that I think they're bad, I just don't find it worth listening to for any reason.

So, for you fans of the above bands I ask this: Why? What do these 3 bands do for you? What specifically do you like about them?

I rate Katatonia way higher than Opeth, but then I'm just strange ;)
They have:
Emotional music
Amazing melodies (both vocally and, most importantly, guitar-wise).
Interesting songs. I know some people find them boring, but they have these little disharmonies in their songs, which are pretty cool, I think their songs have alot of depth.
And if you can't handle/see the beauty in repetitive riffs, then you're probably not a doom fan :D The way an atmosphere can be built up with something, then heightened by introducing a new melody.
Katatonia rule :D

Oh, and I love the the touch that Anders (the guitarist) can bring to a song. And Jonas' vocals, they have a certain honesty to them that I connect with.

It's good music. I guess a disproportionate number of Opeth fans like Katatonia and PT because there's been a lot of intertwining between bands and that exposes people to them.

For me, it simply boils down to GOOD MUSIC! I'll listen to any genre that features, what I call, GOOD MUSIC.

And, IMO, the SINGLE most important factor is good music is EMOTION. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was into Opeth before Katatonia & PTree (never heard of Isis).
What attracted me (first) to Katatonia was the fact that Mikael did the vox on BMD. I purchased it & just loved the dark, almost "claustraphobic" vibe on that record. But, after their change in style I began to like Katatonia EVER MORE! I feel that their last two record are their best, easily topping BMD.

And I was turned onto Porcupine Tree after reading SO MANY positive reviews of their music. In fact, after learning that Steve WIlson produced BWP, I decided to give them a try. I D/L a few samples - liked them - and bought one of their CDs (Signify). I was instantly hooked. I now have everything they've released after that album. ANd PTree are solidified in the ranks of my fav bands! So far, their new release is the best of the year, IMO (but Ive yet to hear Deliverance).

PTree may be the single most emotional band out there!!!!!

Anyway, I've always had a tremendously wide variety of 'favorite bands'. My all-time favs are (in no particular order):

Sting
Led Zep
Opeth
Depeche Mode
Dead Can Dance
Iron Maiden
Porcupine Tree
Tea Party
Anathema
Rolling Stones
Sabbath
Portishead
Katatonia
In the Woods
Rod Stewart (classic era - 70s)
Aimee Mann
My Dying Bride
the Gathering
Emperor
Pearl Jam

I just ordered the newest PT, and it's my first one by them. But honestly, judging from the mp3s I've heard, I don't understand metalheads' love for them. Sure, they're good for proggy pop, but Tribe Called Quest is good for rap and I don't see tons of Tribe fans here.

Oh and Lina i doubt many tr00 metalheads would like them.... play them at the In Flames forum, or the Children Of Bodom one... i bet you won't get the same response to them as on this forum. And if the Cannibal Corpse forum still existed... no way anyone there would like it haha

I got into Porcupine Tree after I got into Opeth but before Steven Wilson worked with Opeth, but I like the bands equally, especially now that they work together. Opeth and Porcupine Tree are my two favorite bands ever. Katatonia Trails closely behind those two because I still really like them, just not quite to the same degree. Isis, on the other hand, isn't bad, but their music just doesn't do too much for me. It's pleasant at times but no sort of life changing experience.

Originally posted by SoundMaster
It certainly is for me!

Opeth, Paula Cole, Emperor, Duran Duran, Katatonia, Dead Can Dance.
It's all the same in my book!

pretty the same here (not the bands but the idea behind)

about being metal.... no, thanks it's like saying i'm christian or i'm of the barcelona f.c. just not for me... i reserve my freedom to do what gimme pleasure just that and that's against being on a particular region of the lifestyle spectrum.

Katatonia are fucking amazing. Not all that technical musically, but they create an amazing atmosphere with their music. Whoever said it before me MELODY. They are amazing at that. Porcupine Tree are simply put one of the best bands on the planet. Don't think I need to say much more. In Absentia is tied with Deliverance for my album of the year so far. Isis as far as I'm concerned are shit. Just my opinion though.

n/p: rush-vapor trails

Jonas Renkse... He has some sustain(?) problems and he is judged as a "bad" singer by people who knows what a good singer sounds like. Renkse is probably the reason why they havent got further than they are right now.

But the real problem is not his voice...Its how he produces it.
He just dont sing to the songs and ruins all atmosphere in the music.

The chorus line in "for my deamons" just ruined all joy in a great guitar song. "If you knew, what ive been through".
Just so corny and so wrong...

He has also big problems reaching high notes so he must really push himself to the limit to manage them. Not false but terrible technique.

Example: "I am nothing"
He has a good voice and it really sounds good i low notes but then about 00:38 when hes getting higher it doesnt sound natural.

I really like their music though...instrumental in the future maybe?

Jonas is not a good singer and I think that is well known. I've not witnessed them live only heard live mp3's, but they were pretty bad. His voice cracked and he could not sing half the notes in key. On the albums though he sounds much better. His voice kind of blends with the music to create the atmosphere they have.