Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

SerenityNow!

*burp*
Feb 28, 2008
On Top
So, I read somewhere that Katatonia was listed on www.progarchives.com for a very brief amount of time, but for whatever reason were booted. Well, I think they should be welcomed back in! Throughout their career they've evolved greatly, and especially with the new material coming out, they've evolved again. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be included in the "experimental/post metal" subgenre on that site. Especially when bands like Tool, Anathema, and Deadsoul Tribe are included in this grouping. What do you all think?

DAMN STRAIT! ive been argueing this on progarchives myself. older songs like gateways and brave have so much progression and newer stuff, ecpesially of nitnd sound very progressive. i think they will be put back on after its release.

ProgArchives has many different subgenres/groupings of different types of prog, metal or non-metal. DT and PT are both prog, but in totally different groupings. "Prog" in itself is a pretty general term, but then so is the website...but a great resource...

Progressive like Dream Theater or Symphony X are? NO

Progressive like Porcupine Tree or Opeth? Yes

They're nowhere near as prog as PT. I wouldn't say Katatonia is prog, but they're experimenting more lately like with TGCD B-sides. Will see how it goes with this next release.

They're nowhere near as prog as PT. I wouldn't say Katatonia is prog, but they're experimenting more lately like with TGCD B-sides. Will see how it goes with this next release.

Here we go again.

You're fucking tiring.

Porcupine Tree are progressive in their use of long songs, complex songs, and demanding instrumental arrangements. HOWEVER, the "progressive" elements of their music also coin to subtle underplaying melodic complexities in the production, and an emotive and often times epic conceptual approach to music.
Katatonia and Porcupine Tree share similar use of subtle production twists, and deeply emotive melodic subtleties.

Sorry I don't categorize "prog" into one musical aspect, bud.

If you believe Katatonia should be on progarchives for just those reasons, you clearly don't understand the entire genre of progressive music. It has absolutely nothing to do with a band evolving from its previous sounds (if all you had to do was change your sound a little from record to record, the progressive genre would be so large that the use of the term "prog" would become vague and thus worthless), but rather has to do with what the band sounds like in the first place. To be prog you have to have some level of experimentation or boundary-pushing (well, this is not always the case, sometimes you get called prog too if you just copy other bands that were prog). Katatonia is pure gothic rock with very few instances that would ever be termed progressive or experimental. There is nothing unique whatsoever about their song structures or their instrumentation. Anathema is arguably progressive because they at least took that gothic rock and combined it with old prog rock (massive Pink Floyd influences), but even if they weren't progressing music, they would still be termed prog because their sound is more like Pink Floyd than a regular metal/rock band.

As for the older stuff, it's only progressive in the sense that it helped to develop the death/doom genre, but if that makes it progressive, then Morbid Angel or Slayer or Bathory would also have to be deemed progressive, which they aren't.

Believe me, I understand what you are saying, and realize that Katatonia don't fit ProgArchives definition. However I disagree with ProgArchives definition.
I think progressive is an arbitrary word. To me I think of "progressive" as a small word summing up many many many sounds, traits, and characteristics of not only the music composition, but sound, production, songwriting, genre, relation to era, use of instruments, innovation, and emotional depth.

I consider Katatonia to be progressive in the sense that they sound like no other band, have incorporated different odd sub genres of music (goth, black metal, death metal, shoegaze, and progressive rock like the cure). Their sound, therefore, is progressive in my definition.

There's bands that change their sound from one cd to next, but keep to that sound pretty much throughout the entire record. Katatonia would fall under that category.

Except that didn't happen at DO. DO is completeley different than the previous one...

And if Anathema is included in the list then hell yeah Katatonia should be too.

The definition of prog is the deepest secret of the underground music community. If you knew what it really meant it would blow your mind.

They are the essence of progressive for me – continuously evolving their sound and making a conscious effort to do that.

They are not, by definition, a "Prog" band, but as many prog heads will tell you, the progressive genre is blurry at best, plus Katatonia is FAR more progressive than many other bands in the archive.

Believe me, I understand what you are saying, and realize that Katatonia don't fit ProgArchives definition. However I disagree with ProgArchives definition.
I think progressive is an arbitrary word. To me I think of "progressive" as a small word summing up many many many sounds, traits, and characteristics of not only the music composition, but sound, production, songwriting, genre, relation to era, use of instruments, innovation, and emotional depth.

I consider Katatonia to be progressive in the sense that they sound like no other band, have incorporated different odd sub genres of music (goth, black metal, death metal, shoegaze, and progressive rock like the cure). Their sound, therefore, is progressive in my definition.

Well, I agree that the word progressive has a screwed up definition that doesn't really encourage innovation any more, and that say...Katatonia or Bathory are much more innovative than Marillion, but this word progressive has kinda had an established definition since the 70s so it's not really up to us. I guess we could call Katatonia progressive but it would be really confusing to any outsiders looking in that know anything about the real genre.

Genres comes in handy when you describe a band for a friend though. I like em!

i use just the basics: death, doom, trad, thrash, etc...

the biggest problem is that bands are so diverse nowadays that is hard to label them... and i can't be bothered to use genres names like "industrial Deathgrind metal"