KAYODOT/MINIWATT/TRISTAN DE CUNHA/CAPTAIN HADDOCK pics!

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
I thought the show was really good--it's one of the few shows I've seen where I thought all four of the bands who played were pretty good and fun. Pre-show, I ate baigan baratha and read ALAN MOORE'S TOP TEN at a restaurant down the street, so I was nice and full and arrived just in time to see CAPTAIN HADDOCK take the stage. They were different than I expected--much more rock'n'roll, less screamy metal. Their songs were pretty good, too, kind of hum-along-y, and they threw in a Misfits cover for good measure.

Frontman Nause fingerpoints, sweats, rocks:
obriens1.jpg

More rocking (and more sweating):
obriens2.jpg

motW's own JOSH SEIPP-WILLIAMS puts the "cock" in "cock rock":
obriens3.jpg

"I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch!"
obriens4.jpg

I had a picture of just Joe, but a pesky mikestand blocked out his face.
obriens5.jpg

TRISTAN DE CUNHA were good, too! They told a story about playing to a music class at Boston College the previous night and some BC whitehat kid raising his hand when they were done and being like, "What exactly are people supposed to 'do' to your music? Because that was the worst song I ever heard." and the band was like "uhhh well what do you listen to?" and he was like "I don't know...Pearl Jam?"
obriens6.jpg

I missed half of MINIWATT while smoking outside, and I actually regretted it after seeing the last half of their set:
obriens7.jpg

And then, KAYO DOT! They crammed onto the stage, solving the "will they fit" question by putting Sam on the floor in front of the stage, back to the crowd. They tuned up for a while--but a seemingly shorter while than usual, are they finally mastering the art of quick tuning??--and then launched into THE MANIFOLD CURIOUSITY, which I don't believe has been played live before!
obriens8.jpg

Greg, slightly confused-looking, but not at all confused-playing:
obriens9.jpg

obriens10.jpg

One of the few Forbes pics without a Massian guitar waving in his face:
obriens11.jpg

Mia close-up!
obriens12.jpg

Toby on euphonium!
obriens13.jpg

For their second song, they played the live favourite THE ANTIQUE. I like how whenever The Antique gets whipped out live, when it starts, people are a little unaware that it's a song, and they continue to talk and mill around and stuff while minimalist guitars start slowly assembling themselves into a song. As it goes on and starts to take shape, people start to look up and end their conversations. Finally, there's just this crushing BERR, BERR, BERRBERR BBRROWOWWW and everyone's like "holy shit!" and gets hooked in for the rest of the song.
obriens14.jpg

I couldn't get a decent picture of Nick all night because he was hiding behind the PAs. Just as I was about to snap one of Greg, though, Nick peeped out from behind the PA like a prairie dog and I swiveled the camera and snapped him.
obriens15.jpg

Totally Pooping/Totally Soloing:
obriens16.jpg

Feedback!
obriens17.jpg

The Antique, screaminess:
obriens18.jpg

The Antique, denouement:
obriens19.jpg

And finally: a picture of Sam that shows more than the back of his head. This was a tough one to get:
obriens20.jpg

Great show! The sound was actually very good, arguably best-sounding yet, and the playing was excellent (no, Mia, I didn't see you fumbling with the jingle bells at any point). can't wait for the 28th.

do you have mp3s anywhere that sound like the versions of the songs you played live? i'd like to hear them again without the mighty force of fun live rock affecting my judgment.

firedwarf: yep forbes does the clarinet stuff on trumpet and piccolo trumpet.

azal: end of the antique is me an nick doing the right and left hands of the piano part, ryan doing upright bass, toby on guitar and vocals, forbes and mia doing a simplified arrangement of the sax, brass stuff on trumpet and violin.