keirleFOH.com

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
I briefly mentioned this in the livesound thread but thought I'd make a post to let everyone know..

At the end of May, I'm moving to London to set up shop as a freelance audio engineer. I've been freelance in New Zealand for a number of years now and have toured and worked with with most of my favourite bands. Unfortunately NZ's isolation from the rest of the world really limits touring opportunities and I've decided to move on to bigger and better things!

I've recently thrown together a small website profiling my career/achievements as an audio engineer. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could have a look and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you guys could spread the word as much as possible and I'm hoping I'll be able to catch up with some of you guys in Europe!

www.keirleFOH.com
johnny@keirleFOH.com

:Spin:

Don't really know how i would be able to assist except for saying: "don't go anywhere near London"

Hate that place. nothing is affordable, everyone is ALWAYS stressed and it's always gray/raining.

You're more than welcome to find me on FB through my studios group: http://www.facebook.com/SenselessStudio (hidden commercial :) )
I'm always willing to assist fellow Sneapsters :)

Did you mix dawn of Azazel the other week in Auckland?

Yeah I did. I've been mixing them for years now. It was a bit chaotic, I came straight from another gig, only just made it to the venue in time.

Just noticed from your post about Summer Slaughter that you play in Thy Art Is Murder. How'd the tour go over here? Vasely actually asked me to mix the tour but his budget was a bit low..

Tour was great bar a show in Napier with 1 million bands on a weird bill. Thought your mix was pretty good that first night. Bummer we weren't kept in the loop re sound. I mixed us the rest of the shows after Auckland. In house was blowing it everywhere over there.

Why not a move to Australia?

Thought very seriously about this but Aussie doesn't offer a whole lot more than NZ. Basically the same stuff on a slightly larger scale. Still no decent continental touring and still pretty isolated from Europe and North America - the main areas I'm targeting.

Tour was great bar a show in Napier with 1 million bands on a weird bill. Thought your mix was pretty good that first night. Bummer we weren't kept in the loop re sound. I mixed us the rest of the shows after Auckland. In house was blowing it everywhere over there.

Dude, that sucks. In-house engineers over here are often pretty average, especially when it comes to metal. The run you guys were booked for was odd in my opionion too.. At least it wasn't a disaster though, from the sounds of things the tour went well overall.

I see you're based in Brisbane. I'm in Brisbane Sunday 21st if you're around, should grab a beer?

Congrats on the decision!
Im just curious, why London? Don't you think you may have a better pick of opportunities by going to either LA or New York?

Thanks bro. Yeah man, I would have loved to have gone to NYC or LA. In fact, USA was my number one choice and I did try pretty hard but the biggest complication with USA is visas. The best I could get was a one or two year visa, which wouldn't be worth my while (and even these were fucking difficult to get, applying as a freelancer). As soon as I'd have developed a reputation and client base, I'd have to leave. With the UK I have a 5 year renewable visa which is good for working all around the EU.

Indeed I'll be around.

Let's do it. I'm unsure of my schedule at the stage but I'll let you know as soon as I get my itinerary.

I don't know about Australia. Myself and most of my friends work full time in the music industry and now travel the world either performing/mixing/teching/TMing. There are a lot of good ops here if you know the right crowd.