Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Kekal – 1000 Thoughts Of Violence
Fear Dark Records – FD011 – September 2003
By Russell Garwood

Kekal hail from Indonesia, and “1000 Thoughts Of Violence” is their fourth album. Following on from “The Painful Experience” - an excellent progressive/experimental black metal release - I was eager to hear how the band had developed, especially considering their myriad of influences and highly original sound.

The nine songs on “1000 Thoughts…” mark a slight change in direction; the music is increasingly compact and organic, and less experimental than that of its predecessor. No longer a trio, Jeff (guitar, vocals and programming) and Azhar (bass, vocals) are now responsible for all instruments. The guitars are, like the last album, melodic and varied – distorted riffage is fragmented by cleaner tones, and complex time signatures prove no challenge. Keyboards play less of a prominent role, however. Occasional instrumental sections break up the otherwise unforgiving music, and add variation, but are far less prominent. The drums are well programmed, with constantly changing beats, while the bass is of a high standard. The vocals are also less varied than the last release – singing is as well placed and effective as ever, black metal growling is interspersed throughout, and effects-laden tones are still present. This is no match (in number at least) for the six different styles on “The Painful Experience”.

Kekal are a talented band, and this album is another solid addition to their back-catalogue. With good production and many melodic elements, it is also a relatively accessible release, that comes recommended for fans of progressive black.

Yeah, I have this album, and it kicks. The production is really good, which I think makes the drum machines sound awesome. I'm curious about Painful Experience though...I heard Mean Attraction from that album and it's okay, but it didn't really get me the way the songs on 1000 Thoughts did. Is that album really better? (I also have the two albums from before Painful experience...neither of which I really enjoy....)