Keller drum shells?

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
Has anyone ever heard of buying and making your own drums using the keller shells?

A friend of mine is looking to start making and selling full sets using the shells and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on them? I'm thinking about just starting off with a snare. Is it even worth it to make the drums or better off just buying a premade one?

I'm not a drummer but any ideas or opinions on the keller shells or similar options would be cool

For me I was just thinking about doing a snare only. I'm just trying to do all the math and seeing if its worth it or just buy a nice snare. I'm not so concerned about the custom factor, more the sound

if you want custom sizes like i have (10x5.5 tom, 14x10 tom, 20x18 kick) then it's kinda worth going the keller route. otherwise it can add up to being more $$ for less quality than a mass produced drum/kit

Most of the "custom" drum companies out there make their drums this way. If you do a good job putting everything together you can expect a result of similar quality.

I'd personally just get a good kit from Tama, C+C, Yamaha, etc.

I built a 13"x7" snare drum with Keller shells from amdrumparts.com. I stained the wood with tung oil (I think? It's been a while), and put brass hoops on it. The build cost around $200, but it's a quality drum. You won't save any money building drums yourself, but it's fun and you end up with something unique.

thanks guys, i guess I'm just going to buy a mass produced snare instead. I just want it to sound good, I'm not too big on appearance