Ken, Audiophile Alert DT HD FLAC

Silverlinings

Jun 11, 2010
This is awesome and I thought you would be interested. I will be buying this tonight.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/new...audio-20120307
Dream Theater Sounds Even Better Now

Dream Theater fans care about a lot of factors when it comes to their favorite band's music: instrumental skill and compositional complexity are at the top of the list, but sound quality is a crucial factor too. If the band released four-track cassette demos of their songs, for example, fans would almost certainly cry out in protest. Well, now, pretty much the exact opposite of that has happened. The latest Dream Theater album, A Dramatic Turn of Events, has been issued in pristine studio master quality as DRM-free 96khz/24bit FLAC files, and it's only available through HDTracks.com. And right now, you can get 20% off by entering the promo code Dream20 at this link! We know you'll be able to hear the difference.

Thanks for looking out. I got the email early this evening. I plan on downloading it tonight. It better not be upconverted Redbook. Then I'll be pissed!

Ken, none of the 24/96 tracks on hdtracks are upsampled. They are studio masters. I will play it on a USB drive through my Cambridge Audio 651BD and let you know if I notice a difference. I played it through my computer speakers and Mediamonkey and it sounded amazing.

That is absolutely not true. HD Tracks have been caught time and time again selling upconverted files. Do some research. Visit computeraudiophile.com and search for all the complaints. Not hard to find.

Sorry, you are apparently right. Well, hopefully it will still sound better than the redbook CD. Someone commented on the forum that you just mentioned that it does have a better dynamic range than the CD. I will be curious of your impressions of it.

I used the promo code - thanks. I won't be able to audition it until next week. I'm sure by then everyone will have weighed in whether or not it sounds any good. I'm sure its fine but with HDtracks you never can tell.

I can't imagine that roadrunner would promote this if it was just an upsampled cd. Roadrunner listed this release as well as the new megadeth 24/96. I would assume roadrunner would have to be involved if they mentioned it on their site. Although you would know better than me since you own a record label. Now let's get a DVD audio version of this in surround. Wishful thinking.

I got the HDtracks email yesterday as well. I went right to computeraudiophile to get the verdict on upconversion. A thread was started, but no word yet. It's nice to see some progmetal being made available in 96/24. Hopefully they did this one right.

Todd

This is awesome and I thought you would be interested. I will be buying this tonight.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/new...audio-20120307
Dream Theater Sounds Even Better Now

Dream Theater fans care about a lot of factors when it comes to their favorite band's music: instrumental skill and compositional complexity are at the top of the list, but sound quality is a crucial factor too. If the band released four-track cassette demos of their songs, for example, fans would almost certainly cry out in protest. Well, now, pretty much the exact opposite of that has happened. The latest Dream Theater album, A Dramatic Turn of Events, has been issued in pristine studio master quality as DRM-free 96khz/24bit FLAC files, and it's only available through HDTracks.com. And right now, you can get 20% off by entering the promo code Dream20 at this link! We know you'll be able to hear the difference.

Oh, and thanks for the 20% off code!

I finally had the time to listen to the hi-res files. They did a really solid job with this. Superb sound and they didn't slam the levels.