What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Khanate

Things Viral

Southern Lord 2003

By Nathan Pearce

things-viral.jpg

If you didn’t like Khanate’s debut, don’t bother reading this review. You still won’t like Khanate. However, if you enjoy gut-wrenching, sick, black, black, black, evil, torture-me-please! music, you’ll really be in for a treat. Khanate has returned!

‘Things Viral’ clocks in at a few second shy of one hour, with only four songs (I guess I’ll call them songs). While the debut had slightly shorter, more punishing songs, ‘Things Viral’ concentrates on VERY, VERY slowly torturing the listener (not that the debut was much faster, though). ‘Things Viral’ uses a little less feedback, and a lot more silence. The vocals/lyrics have also gained some importance in the overall mix. Both these changes greatly add to the absolutely scare-the-hell-out-of-you feel that Khanate is undoubtedly going for. The last time a band could actually convince the listener that something eerie, violent, and deadly was lurking just outside was in the early 90’s black metal scene. Khanate takes the totally black feel these bands had and applies it to slooooooooooow doom, and in my opinion, improves on it.

Alan Dubin’s vokill shrieks, rasps, and screams are very effectively used as the cadence for the atmospheric, random drumming and riffing that Khanate has down to a science. The lyrics Dubin spits out are not only excellent narrative but damn fine poetry as well. Here’s an example:

outside: things ugly, things viral

loathe outside, inside loathe

inside: ugly, dismal, safe, nothing more needed

stay inside, stay inside, stay inside

It’s like going to a poetry reading in hell. The band is simply there to emphasize these demented ramblings. Feedback ebbs and flows like a murky swamp about to engulf a rotting corpse, taking it to its depths for all eternity. The random, crashing, crushing riffs . . . sometimes with/without drums, sometimes with/without bass, sometimes with/without guitar. Khanate knows how to torture. Just when you think the silence is going to be ended by a crushing riff, the feedback fades back into the darkness. Just when you get used to that silence, you’re kicked in the face with a crashing cymbal.

Khanate is so obviously on another plane of existence I won’t expect very many people to enjoy this music (is it music?) the way I do. However, do yourself a favor and at least give them a chance. This isn’t simply slooooooooow doom. It’s a lesson in blackened, extreme, evil art.

10/10

www.southernlord.com

I am a HUGE fan of evil slow funeral doom of the likes of burning witch, khanate, etc. Khanate are masters at what they do and it is gut-wrenching bliss. (oxymoron? ...nope) Music you can actually experience...