Kissology

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I picked up Kissology yesterday. Pretty cool, as expected. Basically they copied the format of the outstanding Led Zeppelin DVD, in that the menus and whatnot have little snippets of lower standard shows that still warranted inclusion in some fashion.

I don't mind saying that I have mixed feelings about buying anything "Kiss" these days, but the nostalgic draw of shows from the classic era was just too much to resist. If you grew up with Kiss as I did, this is basically the holy grail. Shows and other snippets from 1974 through 1977. If all you know about Kiss is what is going on now, or even what was going on in the 80s, well, this is what it was all about. High energy shows, good songs (yes, good songs), and of course, over the top staging and presentation. There is an innocence to it though, that is completely lacking in the "now," incarnation of the band. This was before "corporate Kiss," really existed....though of course, the lunch boxes were on the shelves. It's just that it was still four guys who really loved rock and roll, and that shows. Now it is JUST the corporation.

If your a fan, chances are you've seen these shows, but it's nice to have them in one spot - on two discs, easy to access, with at least marginally better quality that most boots....and 5.1 surround, though admittadly I can't take advantage of that since i just have the crappy speakers on my TV, and nothing else.

Strangely absent is a show from the Destroyer era from Anaheim...that I know exists since I used to own it on VHS (boot). Still, that's a small complaint. The Tokyo/Budokan show is on the Alive II stage, but with Destroyer costumes, so you get a "little" bit of the Destroyer vibe, and a kind of unique show, since there are few pictures from the shows with that particular mix.

Also, the documentary from the Cadillac, MI "high school gym" show and appearance is fun to watch, and VERY 70s. There are a few other things like that, but the central focus is three complete concerts from Alive I and Alive II eras. Plus, the first round of the release comes with a bonus disc, whose contents very depending on where you buy it (Sixx covered this in another post). I bought at Best Buy, which included the second night from The Cobo Hall show also included on the DVD. Probably would have preferred the 77 Madison Square Garden show, but didn't feel like chasing it down....so just went to Best Buy. And anyway, you only need so much....haha.

Volumes II and III are forthcoming, and speaking for myself, I will at least seek out Volume II. It should include Dynastry era, possibly Creatures of the Night era with Vinnie and Eric, and maybe will bleed into the no-makeup era, but we'll see about that.

All and all, very cool, and a nice addition to the "new wave," of quality DVDs out there that fans have been waiting years for - such as Maiden's Early years, the mentioned Zep DVD, and Priest's Screaming for Vengeance Electric Eye thing. For my money, this is reeeeeeally the kind of stuff that old-school bands should be putting out there. You listening Sabbath? Let's get a Live Evil DVD out here.....I hope this trend continues, since I eat this stuff up. I've got a nice shortlist of bands whom I desperately hope will jump on this bandwagon - complete shows from classic eras.

Having been a HUGE Kiss fan as a kid, I can honestly say I own only Alive I, and Kisstory (book) at this point....and now this DVD. It was more than worth buying.....

Where!? :OMG:
I did find the first easter egg on Disc 1 of the show at Coventry in NYC. Very cool! Just click on the Kiss logo.

Thanks for the hot tip on the Coventry thing, and I'll look a bit for the wedding thing. Surely there is something online somewhere....I even think there is a site devoted to Easter Eggs, so shouldn't be hard to find out. I'll try Coventry when I get home.

I picked this up as well. I must say, I'm a bit disappointed in the sound quality on these discs. Not that it's horrible, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Maiden Early Years dvd. They can tout 5.1 surround all they want, but the audio doesn't sound like it was remixed at all. Even with my sub-woofer, most concerts serious lack in the bass end of things. Oddly, one of the best sounding concerts is shot in black and white.

I got mine at Wally World, and the bonus disc in mine is from Capital Centre in Largo, MD, just a few days before Xmas in 1977.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I got mine at Wally World, and the bonus disc in mine is from Capital Centre in Largo, MD, just a few days before Xmas in 1977.

Picked up a copy for myself as well and I am really enjoying (of course :lol:)

My bonus disc is of Madison Square Garden '77... the Largo one at Wally World I understand is going to be the one of most value to collectors.

:headbang:

rokk said:

My bonus disc is of Madison Square Garden '77... the Largo one at Wally World I understand is going to be the one of most value to collectors.

I'm probably wrong, but I suspect many are mistaking it for a well known "Largo" show from the Dynasty tour - Maybe not. Anyway, the only real difference in the bonus stuff is you either choose Alive I or Alive II era, basically the shows are much like what's already there, non-bonus. With the normal DVD you get two shows from each era. Then again, I shouldn't be one to talk, as I got the Cobo Hall (Alive I) variety, and I would have preferred another Alive II era show. I'm actualy considering trading in the copy I have now to Ameoba (but keeping the bonus) and then getting a new copy there, just so I can have Madison Square Garden. Haha. Ah well.

As to the issues of sound quality, well, that's 70's rock sound rigs for ya. To be fair, Maiden's DVD was largely from the 80s, when both house rigs, and individual amplifiers had taken a pretty big leap forward. The 70s Marshalls were just plain bright and grainy......I like it actually, for nostalgia sake.

Last, still don't understand why they didn't put a Destroyer era show on this set!

Okay, so I watched both Easter Eggs. Each is found by clicking on the logo in the main menu on either disc. Ace's wedding is on the second disc, and it's really quite the cool little prize; the band playing in a hotel with no makeup in the 70's. The sounds is for shit, but it's still cool to watch.

FROM METAL SLUDGE:
Posted: Nov 02, 2006 12:26 am Post subject: KISSOLOGY DVD F**k-ups

Kinda like Nigel Tufnel complaining about the 'backstage arrangements', it seems likely many KISS fans will find quite a few problems on the KISSOLOGY thing..

First off; "Acrobat", missing thr 1st half of the song ("Love Theme) is lame, but then having even the 2nd half ("Much Too Young") spliced right after Ace starts his solo isn't cool. Seems like it might be a different audio source than the video. Wasn't this show released with no audio as one of those fake official DVD's a few years back?

Mike Douglas, they cut out half the interview, with no footage of the hippies who won the Kissing Contest... Seems like G&P want to control how their past is percieved.. All I could wonder is whether that vinyl Mike held up was a white label promo or not.. & where it is now..

San Fran 75--glitches & lines all over the beginning, the eXposed version of "Deuce" was better, seems like they'd have cleaned it up a bit (i.e.-Led Zep DVD), although the audio is definitely much better. A lot like an official bootleg type thing with both full shows on DVD1. And why does the end of "Let Me Go" cut abruptly before the song is over?!?!?

Mid Special--"She" is awesome, but wa "Black Diamond" ALWAYS in B&W? Why no "Deuce", makes me wonder is there was an agreement to let the MS people have that song fort their compilation series...

Cobo 76--I've seen better quality bootlegs of it, again the audio is killer.

The easter egg of "Deuce" at Coventry is a nice touch. Definitely the only footage with costumes that early.

Part2: Love Gun Houston is definitely touched up with shots from the 1st night. Japan show however looks better than EVER. Props for that.

So It Goes it cool. (Paul says they didnt re-visit Europe for 7 years on commentary when it fact it was only 4).

Ace's wedding footage was a nice surprise.. but I wish it'd have shown them jamming covers instead of the typical songs they do ("R&RAN" & "Shout It")

Great packaging though. Largo '77 is easily the best part of the whole thing.

rokk said:

I also picked up the MSG bonus. True the Largo will be the most sought after once they are gone, I will be picking up a copy at Wal-Mart this weekend...

Got my haul yesterday, which included this, the Iced Earth dvd, and the Flotsam remastered Doomsday. Haven't really gotten to any of them yet, but I skipped around through all 3, and they all are pretty sick.

I ordered online (cduniverse) and it came with the MSG '77 bonus disc. Pretty happy with that, but I am curious to see the others. My friends and I are intentionally buying different ones, so we can swap (and burn :hotjump: ) bonus discs.

Which retailers have the Largo disc again?

Apparently, whoever wrote the review at Blabbermouth didn't bother to read (or wasn't given) the booklet in the boxset. He would then know about some of the glitches.

The Long Beach show that is listed here actually does have audio in that the show was broadcast on the radio. There are bootleggers out there that have mixed the silent film footage with the radio broadcast to have a single camera shot concert with a decent mix. Personally, I think the band should have done the same thing, though they may not have rights for the licensing of the recording.

The record that Mike Douglas is holding up is actually a second pressing of their first album as first pressings have a gray background, and not a red one.

The end of Let Me Go, Rock and Roll cuts out at the end because the copy that the band has archived does cut out. Also, it looks like someone in the Kiss Company isn't taking good care of some of the videos, which is a damn shame since the other 2 shows from Winterland are now gone thanks to fire.

Deuce from the Midnight Special doesn't make the cut because nobody can find the master tape.

I didn't notice any touch up on the Summit show, but then I don't have the other night on video.

And, the Japan show is the unedited version of two shows that were used for the HBO Special.

As for the sound quality, you do have to remember that they are working with the original source masters which, in this case, means that you're listening to the feed coming off the soundboard, resulting in a trebly mess that is not really meant for mass consumption. Remember, most of this stuff was only used for visual purposes attached to the commercials to promote the albums the band had out (for instance, the Summit shows were used for the Alive 2 television commercial campaign).

Platinum Maze said:
Got my haul yesterday, which included this, the Iced Earth dvd, and the Flotsam remastered Doomsday. Haven't really gotten to any of them yet, but I skipped around through all 3, and they all are pretty sick.

I ordered online (cduniverse) and it came with the MSG '77 bonus disc. Pretty happy with that, but I am curious to see the others. My friends and I are intentionally buying different ones, so we can swap (and burn :hotjump: ) bonus discs.

Wal-Mart's version has the Largo gig...

sumairetsu said:
Apparently, whoever wrote the review at Blabbermouth didn't bother to read (or wasn't given) the booklet in the boxset. He would then know about some of the glitches.

The Long Beach show that is listed here actually does have audio in that the show was broadcast on the radio. There are bootleggers out there that have mixed the silent film footage with the radio broadcast to have a single camera shot concert with a decent mix. Personally, I think the band should have done the same thing, though they may not have rights for the licensing of the recording.

The record that Mike Douglas is holding up is actually a second pressing of their first album as first pressings have a gray background, and not a red one.

The end of Let Me Go, Rock and Roll cuts out at the end because the copy that the band has archived does cut out. Also, it looks like someone in the Kiss Company isn't taking good care of some of the videos, which is a damn shame since the other 2 shows from Winterland are now gone thanks to fire.

Deuce from the Midnight Special doesn't make the cut because nobody can find the master tape.

I didn't notice any touch up on the Summit show, but then I don't have the other night on video.

And, the Japan show is the unedited version of two shows that were used for the HBO Special.

As for the sound quality, you do have to remember that they are working with the original source masters which, in this case, means that you're listening to the feed coming off the soundboard, resulting in a trebly mess that is not really meant for mass consumption. Remember, most of this stuff was only used for visual purposes attached to the commercials to promote the albums the band had out (for instance, the Summit shows were used for the Alive 2 television commercial campaign).

I have most of this stuff on DVD already but it's nice to see them cleaned up...
Also DVD #2's easter egg is accessed the same way as DVD #1 highlight the KISS logo on the main menu and you'll see the footage of KISS @ Ace's wedding... It's sloppy looking but cool to see...
Another question, do the backstage passes vary too?! I got the 1975 All Access one...

Platinum Maze said:

Further details from Kissonline.com about the bonus discs:

"- YES, There will be THREE discs in the intial pressings of KISSology I... no matter which version you buy. 2 of which will be the "perpetuity" discs... as well as an additional limited edition 3rd disc. The 3rd disc will vary depending on where you buy KISSology 1. (details below)

- WHY? With the record retail marketplace becoming more competive as time marches on, retailers frequently request additional exclusive content (sometimes at specific lengths) for their stores, in exchange for significant promotional opportunities. This opportunity is of course seen as a competitive edge. Yet often this opportunity is lamely exploited with only one or two additonal songs (or downloads) per release (as seen in the weekly SUNDAY circulars)... here and there.

With this in mind, and given that everyone involved with KISSOLOGY wanted to give every fan an over the top package at an extremely fair price... the vaults were exploited, and nothing less than a 7 to 12 song disc will accompany the intial pressings of KISSology Vol 1.... and for this reason alone... KISSology should be very visible on 10/31 and beyond! In DVD terms, it will be DOUBLE PLATINUM by KISSMASS, if not sooner!! (this means more volumes, gang!)

The bonus discs in question... and where to get them?

- COBO HALL/DETROIT, MI (1/25/76) AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY. THIS SHOW IS KNOWN AS NIGHT ONE OF KISS' THREE NIGHT STAND AT COBO HALL IN JANUARY OF '76... (NIGHT TWO IS ON DISC ONE OF KISSOLOGY 1). This disc features 10 songs (minus encores) including a very rare performance of "LADIES IN WAITING" from Dressed To Kill.

- MADISON SQUARE GARDEN/NEW YORK, NY (2/18/77) Available at MOST retailers including all independent stores, Amazon.com, Bull Moose, Circuit City, FYE, Hastings, Newbury Comics, Rasputins, Target, Virgin, etc. HERE'S KISS' VERY FIRST PERFORMANCE AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!!! This disc features 7 songs including TAKE ME, LET ME GO ROCK N ROLL, and NOTHIN' TO LOSE.

- CAPITAL CENTRE/LARGO, MD (12/20/77) Available at WAL MART. This disc features 12 songs including Ladies Room as well as Rock and Roll All Nite.

Specific numbers for the initial pressings of these three discs were not given, but the total between the three is not expected to surpass 150,000 to 200,000 units. After these initial pressings, KISSOLOGY VOL 1 will revert back to a two disc version.

KISSOLOGY VOLUME II currently is expected to feature material from 1978 thru 1992. No word on bonus discs, if any, at this time!"

KingsGene said:
- COBO HALL/DETROIT, MI (1/25/76) AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY. THIS SHOW IS KNOWN AS NIGHT ONE OF KISS' THREE NIGHT STAND AT COBO HALL IN JANUARY OF '76... (NIGHT TWO IS ON DISC ONE OF KISSOLOGY 1). This disc features 10 songs (minus encores) including a very rare performance of "LADIES IN WAITING" from Dressed To Kill.

Just a random note - the performance on this bonus disc also has the inclusion of the riff from Black Sabbath's Killing Yourself To Live during the break section of She. All of Kiss' other videos have this section edited out.

I have it too, it's great. Can't wait for Volume 2!

The highlights for me are the extra little bits like the footage of Cadillac and the England tour and all that... The bonus disc on my one is the New York '77 show.

Yeah, I'm ready for Volume II as well. I decided I needed all the bonus discs :loco: so in the end I had to go get all three. No biggee, as I had a bunch of trade at Ameoba, so that one didn't really cost me. I ordered the third from Wal Mart online. I made a gift of one copy, and will just trade another back in. It was worth it, methinks, to have all three bonus discs (which I kept of course). I've watched most of the stuff from start to finish, and really just have to say that, even this many years on, it reminds me why I loved Kiss so much as a kid (and why the first round of reunion gigs were worth going to).

You know? Peter used to reeeeeally be able to play, and the shows were just so high energy. Paul? A great singer. Gene? well, Gene is Gene, but he really was menacing back in the day. And Ace played just flawlessly, especially on the Alive I era stuff. I have been having a blast watching a show a night....and am already excited and on edge for the last (Largo/Wal Mart) copy to get here.

Kiss. There is a reason they used to be great.