KIUAS ANNOUNCES THE DEPARTURE OF LEAD SINGER

Markku

Band Member
Sep 12, 2005
www.kiuas.net
Hello folks! We have some startling news: our lead singer Ilja Jalkanen has decided to leave the band after some serious thinking. The reasons for this are purely musical and the chemistry within the band has always been great. In Ilja’s own words: “My heart is not in heavy metal anymore, and a great band like Kiuas deserves a singer completely dedicated to the music.”

However, as all the fans know, although Ilja has been the voice of Kiuas for many years, his contribution to the songwriting has been very minimal and thus his departure won’t affect the bands musical direction or diminish the power of the music in the future in any way. The fact is that Kiuas will be able to continue it’s musical journey with passion only without Ilja – this is the only way to go.

Unfortunately Ilja won’t be able to perform the gigs we have booked for October 29th-31st. We we’re on the verge of cancelling them, but luckily we were able to get talented vocalist Asim Searah to stand in for Ilja on those gigs. We apologize for announcing this so late, but we had agreed with the local promoters to do the UK tour before we announced Ilja leaving the band.

We also have some good news: Ilja will still perform a farewell gig with Kiuas in Helsinki in January 2011. The exact date and venue will be announced later.

wow, ilja's voice was one of the things that made kiuas, well, kiuas! It really seporated you guys from the others planing a similer style. He will be sorely missed. Hope to hear news of a new permanent vocalist soon!! Make sure it's someone that can pull off you're whole catalog.

Yeah, this is pretty much the worst news to wake up to. What made Kiuas was the marriage between Mikko's excellent writing and Ilja's incredible voice. He is honestly my favorite vocalist in any genre. I will be sure follow whatever his future endeavors are. I definitely respect his choice to leave, as it doesn't make any sense to stick with something that you're not into anymore. It's hard to picture you guys being able to find a replacement up to par with him, but I sincerely hope you do. I regret I've not been able to see Kiuas live with Ilja. I may have to take a trip to Finland for the farewell show.

When Mikko told me there were some big things coming up for Kiuas, this is not what I was expecting.

man..... this sucks!!! ilja's voice is quite unique and perfect for the music of kiuas...

:(

damm!!!!

Please record some live shows and leave us a live recording of the band with ilja! maybe even a blue ray / dvd.

Hard to imagine Kiuas without Ilja, but I completely understand. I'd rather see Kiuas press on with someone new than to put out something sub-par because of tensions or lack of motivation, or to call it quits altogether. I hope the best for Ilja in his future endeavors. And I can't wait to hear the new voice of Kiuas. Just hope it doesn't take 14 years to find the perfect replacement for such a unique voice like it did for Accept!

Perkele sanon minä! Kiuas has always had a perfect sound and Ilja's brilliant vocals have been a source of national pride to me ever since I first heard Kiuas. It's a real shame that this had to happen and I honestly feel like this just ended my childhood (btw I'm 21).

PS. I'm really pissed that you would do this on such short notice and now I'm bringing two new friends to see you in Nosturi who are seeing you for the first time.

PPS. When are you holding auditions? I'd like to try out: D

I'm really gutted... but I am also glad I got to see Ilja before he left, makes the trip to London even more special.

And I really like The Clairvoyant86's idea, I really love live CD's and I would love a Kiuas live CD with Ilja's voice.

You could always check out the Kiuas War Anthems EP, it has live tracks of The Decaying Doctrine, Of Sacrifice Loss and Reward, and Warrior Soul (which has some really awesome Ilja vocals).

I liked it better when Ilja "had no doubt [Kiuas] was something [he] had to do." ;)

Okay, I gotta admit, Asim Searah is pulling this off pretty damn well:

His accent is quite a bit thicker than Ilja's, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out about this- it's hit me pretty hard yet I hope both Kiuas and Ilja will soldier on and do what they do best- and best of luck for the future to all of you.

Ilja's last show with Kiuas will be at Nosturi on the 15th of January.

The evening is also a memoriam for our friend Lauri Mailasalo, who has worked with the band during the years. Lauri was diagnosed with leukemia and passed away only a couple of months ago. The profit from the concert will go to Sylva Ry, a foundation that helps children with leukemia and their parents.

Rytmihäiriö, Amoral and a surprise act will also perform. All the bands have worked closely with Lauri.

That's it then, the end of an era, so to speak.

Sorry that I haven't commented on the whole matter, I've really needed to take a break from thinking about it after we did the last gigs with Asim singing. (for which the feedback has been very good, thank ye all!)

However, for everyone who's still dissapointed and/or wondering what Kiuas will do in the future:
Because Ilja's interests lie elsewhere, there's absolutely no way in this universe or another that we could have done another PASSIONATE album together. Yes, I could have forced, bribed or tried to talk him over to sing my songs one more time, then fight in the studio, and release something mediocre, but what's the point?
We've done something great together (and yes, everything he has recorded and performed in the past he HAS done with passion) and I'm glad he drew the line here, not after... well, doing what I just wrote in the previous sentence. :loco:

The new singer will be a person totally thrilled about being able to be a part of this and loves exactly this style of music. I'm myself excited to write new stuff, and especially for a vocalist who's musically in the same ball(s)park. :headbang:

About the concert and Lauri Mailasalo (R.I.P.):

It will be a special evening in many ways. We'll probably do some songs we haven't usually performed live, there MIGHT be a guest on stage (perhaps the future singer of the band :yow:)...and a fond farewell to the Russian bear. :wave:

However, Ilja and Kiuas are not the main focus of the evening, it's all about the sad passing away of our friend Lauri Mailasalo. Lauri has done our lights and been our driver many times during the past years, and has worked a lot with many other finnish metal bands as well. He also used to play bass in the band Codeon. Lauri wasn't even 30 when suddenly a few months ago he felt an intense headache, had to be taken to the hospital, and in only a few days was taken by the disease leukemia, or blood cancer.
He was a great guy, always did his job and was very modest. It feels totally wrong that anyone so young has to be taken away all of a sudden.

As the profit will go straight to a good cause, I urge everyone to be there.

I agree completely re: Ilja. Shows a lot of professionalism on his part and the band's.

I'm sorry to hear about Lauri. This sounds like it will be a very special show in his honor. Wish I could be there.

I would pay to be able to watch it online and even more to be able to purchase it on DVD. Any Finnish videographers willing to donate their time and expertise to a good cause? :D

Yes, I would definitely purchase this show on DVD, even more so if the profit goes to Sylva Ry. Unfortunately the date is too soon for me to be able to get there in person. Very sad to hear about Lauri. I used to listen to the On My Side EP a lot back in college.

If there's a possibility of the special guest being the new Kiuas singer, does this mean that you've already found a replacement?

I think it would be fitting to play Ilja out with "And the North Star Cried" as I'm sure it does for his departure and also for Lauri.

happy new year every one! A new year a a new singer on the horizon. I really hope there is some video of Ilja's final show, now that I know I will never get the chance to see Kiuas live with him. My heart goes out to your friend, my they rest in piece. I also agree that "And the North Star Cried" would be a great way for Ilja to end this chapter of his life, but that is up to him I guess. If the new singer decides to show up then I would love to see if they can handle "To Excel and Ascend." Just my thoughts.