KORN's JONATHAN DAVIS: How DEF LEPPARD Influenced Recording Process For 'The Nothing' Album

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Jonathan Davis says that he turned to acts like ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA, QUEEN and DEF LEPPARD for inspiration for the vocals on the latest KORN album, "The Nothing". "They all used to do these crazy, big vocal bits, recording 40 tracks of vocals and harmonies to stack them," Davis told Billboard. "I wanted to do that on this record, and if you listen to it, there are some huge choruses with, like, 20 tracks. That's how DEF LEPPARD got their big vocals and harmonies, because so many people are singing in the background, so many voices. It took a lot of time, but it was well worth it." Jonathan said that all he listened to while working on "The Nothing" was "1930s and '40s music — Doris Day, Cab Calloway and big band music. I appreciate the way it's recorded; it's not overly edited," he explained. "Everyone had their own style and feel, not a producer making them sound the same. And there's something dark about it that I really like: dark times, depression, war. I love it." KORN's first single from "The Nothing", "You'll Never Find Me", is currently No. 8 on the rock radio chart. The LP follows up 2016's "The Serenity Of Suffering". KORN and ALICE IN CHAINS recently completed a North American co-headlining tour. KORN will next play a string of "Ticket To Rock" shows over the course of the next few months alongside acts like CHEVELLE, SLIPKNOT, DIRTY HONEY, VOLBEAT and others.

Continue reading...