circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Kult ov Azazel – The World, the Flesh & the Devil
Crash Music Inc. – 80402-61143-2 – June 28th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

WFD.jpg

There must be a cave, somewhere, which plays home to a group of BM, cover artists. Every time a new black metal album requires cover art, they whittle away until they’re finished. Shortly afterwards, the artists’ memories are erased, and they’re free to utilize the same motifs repeatedly without succumbing to boredom, over and over again. So, yeah, there are approximately three and a half tons of BM clichés to be uncovered on Kult ov Azazel’s The World, the Flesh & the Devil. The blasphemous music, similarly, follows paths that have been forged before, though it does have its tried-and-true moments.

Cult (Kvlt?) followers of slow, plodding BM will absolutely depise Kult ov Azazel, because the aforementioned are akin to wind-up toys: once the momentum is unleashed, the speediness is never halted. Likening said quartet to Dark Funeral and Immortal – in the speed department – is reasonable. The first five tracks blaze by, and I suspect The World, the Flesh & the Devil is the closest I’ll ever come to being enveloped by an icy, malevolent whirlwind. However, “Trampling the Cross” does deviate from its brethren by slowing the tempo down; this unexpected change was a sudden-yet-enrapturing surprise and, to go out on a limb, “Trampling the Cross” could quite possibly be the masterpiece that Kult ov Azazel were attempting to create. But – as their style demands – the full-on assault continues with the Antestor-esque “Blood, Death & Damnation.” By the way, I apologize in advance, guys, for comparing you to a Christian black metal band.

Moreover, the disc climbs over the thirty-five minute mark, which makes it a substantial release in and of itself. I’m sorry to say, though, that there are far superior, BM records out there just begging for listeners. Kult ov Azazel aren’t worthy of your utmost admiration, but what they do, they do well.

7.5/10

Official Kult ov Azazel Website
Official Crash Music Inc. Website