Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
LABYRINTH - LABYRINTH
Century Media - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

labyrinth_labyrinth.jpg

After the whole mess surrounding Labyrinth with the release of Sons of Thunder, it was difficult to see what the future held for the band. Then it was announced that Olaf Thorsen was leaving the band and while it was probably a good thing that he took his ego out of the mix, doubts entered up in my mind of how the band would manage without him, after all he was the main songwriter. Well, all those doubts were unfounded because Labyrinth has returned with a fresh, innovative and emotional release that was just totally unexpected.

Everything tied up with this release seems like a fresh start for the band. The old logo is gone, the stage names are also gone and the sound is just not what I expected out of Labyrinth. To call them a power metal band would definitely sell them short.

Why would calling them power metal sell them short?

Well in many cases, power metal is straight-forward and Labyinth used to fit that description, especially with their last album but now that is no longer the case because the songs are all varied, emotional, catchy and it leans towards the progressive. From the acoustic driven “Livin’ In A Maze”, to the grand and epic sounds of “The Prophet”, and to the prog rock sounding keyboards in the “This World”, which has a part that begins at 2:23 and I swear it belongs in a Dream Theater album, and finally to the thrash-inspired (!) “Just Soldier (Stay Down)” this album just keeps you guessing at what will come next.

The momentum keeps going with all 10 songs even to the emotional ballad “When I Will Fly Far” that closes the album and it seems right that the band ends with such a song, it makes you want more. Labyrinth has come straight out of left field with this release and they have come up as big winners with quite possibly the come back album of the year and one that rivals Return to Heaven Denied for their best work.

Century Media Website
Labyrinth Official Website