Lacrimosa - Fassade

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Lacrimosa - Fassade
Nuclear Blast - 2001
By Philip Whitehouse

Visit the Nuclear Blast web site.

I'm impressed. As far as I'm concerned, the only band that has so far managed to succesfully mix an orchestra with metal is Dimmu Borgir on their latest album - Large Oilrig and bedfellows in Metallica can just go and cry into their retirement funds for the decent-but-achingly-pretentious S&M effort. But that was until Lacrimosa came along.

When this CD came through my letterbox, I popped it into the CD player not really knowing what to expect (mainly because I hadn't bothered to read the promo material that came with it...) I wasn't expecting to be greeted with an astonishing classical intro that sounded like the beginning of a sci-fi film. Then guitars and drums appear, and the song develops into a sort of musical conflict between two sides - melodic and peaceful sections converse with crushing, dramatic passages until some kind of middle ground is found.

And that's just the first song!

Sadly, I can't really comment on the lyrical content of the album, being as I am slightly less well-versed in Lacrimosa's native German than I am comfortable with my ability to fly. The vocal performances on the album are stunning, however - we get choirs, growls, soaring melodies...

There isn't really a weak moment on this album - 'der morgen danach' appears to mix Chris Rhea style road-rock with an almost Irish-folk music like lilt at the beginning, before the string section just begins to complement the melody. Next, 'senses' begins with an ambient, relaxing melody overlaid by beautiful female vocals, before throwing a scare into the listener with a sudden stab of guitar and drums, shattering the tranquillising effect of the song. Things mellow out again, but then the guitar and drums come back almost sheepishly, adding to the melody and making the song heavier without making it jarring.

Basically, the album is a triumphant marriage of metal and classical music. It won't appeal to everyone, as it may seem just a little too pretentious or downright odd for some. For me though, it's the discovery of the year.

10/10