Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Lair of the Minotaur – The Ultimate Destroyer
Southern Lord – SUNN 56 – April 4, 2006
By Nathan Pearce

lotmcover.jpg

Lair of the Minotaur is a somewhat unknown band for some reason; although, I think that’s about to change. With the release of their very solid second album, The Ultimate Destroyer, Lair of the Minotaur has chosen a fine time and a great style to burst forth onto the scene with. Previous album Carnage went by practically unnoticed. For some reason, I don’t think The Ultimate Destroyer will.

LOTM combines a BRUTAL and punishing death metal attack with a bludgeoning, yet mid-paced grind sensibility. Throw in a little crusty punk attitude, and you’re probably getting close. To compare them to a band would be a little difficult, but I think throwing around names like Mistress and Pig Destroyer might do some good. Much like the two previously mentioned bands, LOTM seeks to brutalize the listener, although not at the expense of compromising the groove, for lack of a better word, of the song. Nearly every song on this album thrashes like a giant great white shark fighting off a mob of angry . . . uh . . . shark hunters . . . bad analogy, I know. The Ultimate Destoyer rarely moves beyond a medium pace, although the occasional blast beat can be heard, along with the occasional slooooooow grinding section. Vocals range from hateful to downright scalding.

I can easily see The Ultimate Destroyer slowly picking up steam throughout the year. Furthermore, it wouldn’t surprise me to see this band do some short tours with bands like Napalm Death, Slayer, or Sepultura. Their sound would fit into a variety of categories, but this release is ultimately for fans of brutal metal. Honestly, though, I would be a little surprised to find that fans of even the daintiest of metal genres didn’t like this stuff. This is just the definition of an album to bang your head to.

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Lair of the Minotaur’s Official Website
Southern Lord’s Official Website

i actually saw these guys at a little club a year ago down here in albuquerque. They reminded me alittle bit like Venom and Celtic Frost. Played a couple songs that kicked ass but others didnt do awhole lot for me. Lots of crusty deathy grooves. Closed with a song about wolves that really kicked ass.

This is the most METAL record I've gotten this year. Absolutely crushing! More people need to check this band out...:kickass: