Lair of the Minotaur

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I picked up a disc by these guys cheap yesterday just to check em out.
At first it didn't click, but after second listen it did.

Reminds me of a cross between Venom, High on Fire, Motorhead, and Poison Idea (for the one other person on this forum who knows who they are)

Anyhow, being from chicago, this could possibly be a good "heavy" band for the fest. I know little about them or how they draw. I figure they lasted like 3 albums on Southern Lord so they must do somewhat decent, eh?

Curious to know what folks think of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw them open for Hammers of Misfortune ten years ago. (Holy shit, it's been that long?) I didn't think they were any good then. To illustrate how bad they were, Bible of the Devil was also on the bill and I thought they were better than Lair! The track from "Evil Power" doesn't sound bad, but it's way too simplistic and doesn't have anything to make up for that. High On Fire is a good comparison.

YEs, it is DEFINITELY simplistic music, which is why I made the HoF and Poison Idea comparison.
Definitely not ground breaking material. Just sounds like a bunch of guys who got together and wanted to jam out some riffs.

Hammers were one of the most boring bands I ever saw live.

Yep, certainly not for everyone!

If I was never into any punk bands with a metal tinge (IE - Poison Idea, Discharge, etc), I probably wouldnt connect with this at all either.

To me, its a blend of a lot of styles I have liked over the years.

Not an everyday listening type of band. Could be fun live.

I have no use for bands like this. Try to make great art or fuck off!

Luckily, I saw them before they became an AOR band. It was right after their second album came out.

I loved THE LOCUST YEARS album. So many great songs....most of their other stuff isn't near as good. I couldn't stand the first album. The newer stuff is just OK.

I fully admit to never checking Hammers out on disc.

Though if a band doesn't do it for me live then it really decreases my desire to check out their recorded efforts.

I loved THE LOCUST YEARS album. So many great songs....most of their other stuff isn't near as good. I couldn't stand the first album. The newer stuff is just OK.

"Locust Years" was good but I could never get into it. I just stick to the first two.

They went downhill after Scalzi left... and Slough Feg really went downhill since Cobbett left! I guess those guys needed each other.

"Locust Years" was good but I could never get into it. I just stick to the first two.

They went downhill after Scalzi left... and Slough Feg really went downhill since Cobbett left! I guess those guys needed each other.

I agree with Hammers but Slough Feg keep getting better with each new album.

The only Hammers I own is the Fields / Church of Broken Glass double album, and it's pretty good stuff. Never heard their stuff with Scalzi though. And I totally disagree with Slough Feg. Obviously their best work is Down Among the Dead Men and Traveller stuff, but the last 3 albums were just as good as Atavism.