circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Lamb of God – Ashes of the Wake
Epic Records – 2004
By Jason Jordan

LambofGod.jpg

Add a cowbell or two to the bludgeoning Lamb of God, and it’s easy to see that the aforementioned is basically the latest iteration of Pantera. The requisite elements all converge to create an image/sound that conjures the former metal giants: similar riffage, Anselmo-esque vocals, better-than-average drumming, and profanity-laced material. Ashes of the Wake – either way – will grow on you, but probably not enough to be substantial.

“Laid to Rest” is a fitting introduction as we’re greeted to guitar squeals and notable double-bass drumming. Emphasis on the riffing takes place a lot throughout the former. “Hourglass” is hoppy, aggressive, and generally gravitating. “Now You’ve Got Something to Die For” has the potential for greatness; similarly, the song works on many levels: rhythmically, musically, lyrically. “The Faded Line” commences on an average plain, but the drum variations that are manifested within the first minute of the track are fantastic. And, the guitars at the 2:00 minute mark are nice touches as well. “Omerta” features spoken vocalizations at first, which is essentially an inane, overt-attempt-at-being-tough shtick. Nevertheless, “Omerta” is a pretty good number. “Blood of the Scribe” chases with its thrashiness; or Slayer-like instrumentations. “One Gun,” “Break You,” and “What I’ve Become” abide by the same precepts alluded to above. “Ashes of the Wake” is a riveting instrumental that utilizes the talents of Alex Skolnick (ex-Testament) and Chris Poland (ex-Megadeth). There simply aren’t enough metal instrumentals. In any case, “Remorse is for the Dead” is the last song on the record.

I would be comfortable placing Lamb of God at the forefront of the NWAHM movement. But, their musical persuasion definitely hints at earlier days. Though Ashes of the Wake is not classy, it is above the bar. If that’s enough for you, then so be it.

7.5/10

Official Lamb of God website
Official Epic Records website

i feel this a well deserved '9'.....take away one point for it not being 100% original....for it not leading us into some completely new metal sub-genre, but there's no denying that this is the 'cowboys from hell' for the new era of thrash metal.

curious what witchkins-hopfinder corporal would consider a 9/10 as of recently.......

I figured there would be a lot more people scoffing at the mention of Lamb of God on good old UM.

At any rate, I love the band, and this album. One of my favorites this year.

hey witchkins...that more than answers my question. what do ya think about 'woods of ypres'? 'negura bunget'?.............sasha

SculptedCold said:
Having loved New American Gospel and As the Palaces Burn, i'm disappointed to find the new one sucking in a most dire fashion. In every way.
Wow, if you don't mind, what exactly has turned you away from this one?