Laptops with TI firewire chipsets

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I'm looking forward on purchasing a somewhat decent laptop. Does anyone know which brands use TI chipsets? I made a search but to no avail.

Cheers!

I'm actually very interested in this as well -- I'm going to be playing live with a laptop running the show and I'd like to know what the cheapest TI option would be. I definitely don't want any hang ups, pops, or clicks live...

While I can't say that all Toshiba laptops have TI chipsets, mine does. It's a Toshiba Satellite X205 which unfortunately they no longer make.

Back when I was doing a similar investigation prior to buying a laptop, it seemed that Toshiba was one of the few that had TI chipsets. At the time it seemed that none of the HP or Dell laptops had them, but I think a few of the IBM/Lenovo laptops may have.

MY LG P300 has one too. I don't think it's about the brand, but about the model. Check the manufacturers technical info on each model, starting with the expensive ones. If there's no info on the chipset, change manufacturer. ;)

Not all of them, there was an era when they didn't, much to the chagrin of many pro audio people, though that's all I know about it (no dates) :erk: I use a StarTech expresscard with a TI chipset that works fine for me, though for live I'd rather use PCMCIA cuz the expresscard standard has the most fucking RETARDED design flaw where the slightest tug will dislodge it (it's universal to all expresscards, drives me insane :mad: ), and the lower bandwidth of a TI-based PCMCIA FW card won't be an issue with only a few tracks (like anything under 8 is cool I'd say)

So in other words, I wouldn't sweat it dude, just buy any old laptop with a PCMCIA slot and something like this!

Apple uses Agere or Lucent now, my 2007 Santa Rosa MBP is TI.Its 2.4 ghz which still holds up well against the newer models esp. w/ 4 GB ram.

One Caveat the dreaded Nvidia 8600 video cards inside are doomed to failure for the most part.Apple will repair, but something to read up and understand b4 buying.

To check your Apple Chipset at boot up hold before the ---chime --APPLE + S at boot up in single user mode read the unix lines FYI

Not all of them, there was an era when they didn't, much to the chagrin of many pro audio people, though that's all I know about it (no dates) :erk: I use a StarTech expresscard with a TI chipset that works fine for me, though for live I'd rather use PCMCIA cuz the expresscard standard has the most fucking RETARDED design flaw where the slightest tug will dislodge it (it's universal to all expresscards, drives me insane :mad: ), and the lower bandwidth of a TI-based PCMCIA FW card won't be an issue with only a few tracks (like anything under 8 is cool I'd say)

So in other words, I wouldn't sweat it dude, just buy any old laptop with a PCMCIA slot and something like this!

I agree express card doesn't seem to be the sturdiest design ever.
You have to be careful for sure.

But I just succesfully tested 24 simultaneous inputs recording on my laptop using an express card.
It works. Not a single pop or click.
Buffer @128. Internal 7200 rpm HD.
Intel pentium dual core t3400.
Windows XP.

The funny part is that it's a not a Ti chipset (I believe it's a via chipset).
Actually, I have another express card with a Ti chipset and not only it has to be hot plugged or my computer won't boot, but it produces clicks...:zombie:

I read and heard a lot about the shittiness of expresscards, which is one of the reasons why I got a Macbook Pro. Mine is an early '08 and has a TI chipset.

IIRC the problems with the Nvidia GeForce 8600's was only in certain shipments, and the design flaw was fixed afterwards? Nevertheless, Apple gave all the laptops with them an extended warranty, so I'm kinda happy I got a "free Apple Care" :lol: and at least I've been gaming with mine (512mb model) without having any problems.

And it's better than the early aluminium models IMO, which also have problems with their Nvidia stuff (screen goes black after a while of e.g. gaming) and may need their logic board replaced. No wonder Apple is apparently considering ditching Nvidia, they didn't even want to admit that their hardware was faulty at first.