Late 80's early 90's band

mehtoll1

New Metal Member
Sep 23, 2014
I'm trying to remember the name of a metal band from that was definitely out around 89-90-91. They were out at the same time as Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell".

They were really heavy but I can't remember their name or song titles. I just remember the bass player had a gigantic bass. It was maybe 8 feet long with a big point coming off the bottom. I think it had a much larger scale as well - like 42 frets.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find it anywhere else online so I figured I'd head straight to the experts.

Thanks in advance.

M-

Do you remember where you saw them? My first guess would be Cynic since Sean Malone used a Chapman stick on occasion (probably the instrument you're describing) but if you're certain it was 1991 at the latest, it's a little less likely since they were in their demo stages at that time.

Definitely not Chapman from Cynic. They had a video on a local Chicago metal show right as the Cowboys from Hell video broke.

The bass was definitely electric. It looked like a dean or something but had a huge jagged lightning bolt shape coming off the bottom. The bass was literally 6 feet tall or better, custom made, with a shit ton of frets due to the long neck.

Thanks for trying. If I can find out who it was I'll definitely repost.

Thanks

M-

Long shot, but could it be Brothers Grimm? I don't know what kind of bass they played, but their Helms Deep album (released in 1990) is really obscure and very technical all the same, and they were from Ohio so it's conceivable that their name could have made it to Chicago.