Lay Down Rotten - Reconquering the Pit

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Lay Down Rotten – Reconquering the Pit
Remission Records – 2007
By Adam McAuley

CD2007ReconqueringThePit(klein).jpg

We can see that a rather brutal approach is taken by this band and they perform their grindy breed of harsh death metal quite well. A gritty, old-school style pays some homage to older bands like Entombed and the rollicking methods they used to employ back in the day. Lay Down Rotten take down everything in their path with crispy riffs that manage to be crushing and also somewhat melodically tuneful at the same time although they don't display particularly technical approaches at the same time. Thus they have an old school feel and will appeal to people looking for a more standard approach that simply crushes without requiring a great deal of absorbing technical details.

Lay Down Rotten did not stun me with their approach by any means, but the amount of aggression and solid enough songwriting kept my interest hooked as the classics like Entombed and Obituary were able to do so well in their primes. However, given the more over the top approach of bands these days like Gory Blister, this might not quite put in enough twists to truly stick out and they may have trouble avoiding a tag of being somewhat generic although I find them quite entertaining. Death metal that can be somewhat like a Slayer album and deliver quick thrills can be found here although the possible complexity of the nuances found may be drowned out by them.

Although they may not be as convincing as those veterans, they remain an enjoyable diversion for those looking for a punishing album to headbang manically along to in the true metal spirit.

Official Lay Down Rotten Website
Official Lay Down Rotten Myspace
Official Remission Records Website