Learning drums, help me get better.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Show me some videos of shit I should learn. I'm trying to get the heel toe deal down at the moment. The movement is easy, it's continuing the movement in a way that doesn't sound like 4 32nds, rest for an 8th, 4 32nds, rest...

However I find the movement logical and I get why it's the way to go for getting faster even if some power gets lost from it. It's also pretty controlled and doesn't sound like a mush of notes strung together like it used to when I tried to just spaz my muscles out in time :lol:.

But right now, I'm right at meat head and would like to challenge my brain a little more so how bout some licks to learn?

How long have you been playing? Can you read music? Are you self-taught? Are you familiar with other playing styles besides metal (jazz, funk, latin, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help me point you in the right direction.

Skip heel toe. The people who are the best at it still fluctuate wildly. It's a gimmicky technique.

Heel up is what you need. It's the standard because it's accurate and powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on Damian on this one + what do you want to achieve?

In a meanwhile, this a nice, informative video:

Skip heel toe. The people who are the best at it still fluctuate wildly. It's a gimmicky technique.

Heel up is what you need. It's the standard because it's accurate and powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0oNl2faFI

Watched video.

He mentions getting the stroke from the ankle. This is exactly what heel toe is man. You don't get the stroke from pushing you heel into the pedal, when you bring your foot down it essentially "whips" your toe down again.

I play slower (say 120bpm 16ths or so) all heel up as it doesn't get to crazy, but going faster than that? No way, now without feeling like a spazy douche.

How long have you been playing? Can you read music? Are you self-taught? Are you familiar with other playing styles besides metal (jazz, funk, latin, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help me point you in the right direction.

1. about a year
2. drum notation, no (any other kind of notation yeah). Maybe, but probably no.
3. Yes
4. Mmmm no not really.

I only recently got the hang of playing triplets with my feet while everything else is keeping the time, so like quarters on the hats (or 8ths), snare on 3, triplets on the kick.

Yeah not that far along.

Hmmm, i've been playing for a year or so too, electronic drums at home + acoustic at practice once every week or two.

Lots of single strokes, doubles, rudiments... a lot of it. same for feet, yada yada yada. And i've got half of A day to remembers catalogue down, it's just fun to jam too, learning beats and fills along the way, it's chalenging sometimes, but you don't get bored at all. It's one thing to learn the techniqes, but playing whole songs with consistancy and not doing abrupt tempo swings during fills sure moves things forward.

I never could get into the heel toe technique. Check out this video:

He uses it the best I've seen. For constant runs of 16th's or fast triplets, he uses a heel up motion. For the really fast flurries of 4 or so notes he'll use the heel toe to great affect with precision. Most drummers i've heard who try and do fast runs with heel toe just can't get them consistent. They're best for little flurries or grace notes.

If you want to be super fast, loud and consistent with your solid runs, you just have to practice THE FUCK out of heel up single strokes. A la Shannon Lucas:

There's no secret for gaining speed, except for practicing 3 hours a day for about 5 years. Then you'll be kinda fast.

If you haven't already, get very familiar with para diddle diddles. Once I committed myself to learn drums those were the first things I learned. It really helps with fills rolls and for me, it opened my creative mind.

Speaking of fills, linear drum fills!

Your best bet is to grasp four way independence.

If its just licks you're looking for, take guitar riffs from various artists/genres and play them on the drums, mixing up your time keeping and which drums you're hitting. After doing that while with different genres, you'll have some varied awesomeness in your bag and much to build on.

Youtube shit from Thomas Lang and Marco Minnemann... not their hyper advanced shit, but some of the things they break down...

Work on your stick technique.... your timing... wanna work on your bass drum technique and your footwork you can wear light ankle weights while playing and going through double bass shit. Speed just takes time, there's no shortcuts... just work up more and more BPMs till you get where you wanna be... there's a George Kollias thing I do a lot too, to warm up... you can practice this...

Ive been playing for 20+ years, so, if you've got specific questions let me know... I can answer those better than give blanket ideas

I never could get into the heel toe technique. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0XKPaUSSPA

He uses it the best I've seen. For constant runs of 16th's or fast triplets, he uses a heel up motion. For the really fast flurries of 4 or so notes he'll use the heel toe to great affect with precision. Most drummers i've heard who try and do fast runs with heel toe just can't get them consistent. They're best for little flurries or grace notes.

This is pretty much where I am at with it. I for some reason can't do anything more than what he does with it. This seems like something good to learn though as I'm about here when it comes to where I'm at being able to pull stuff off so thanks for this.